alan_gilmore51

Crittall altwrnative Dilema.

Alan Gilmore
5 years ago
I am having real difficulty sourcing an alternative to traditional crittall.
I'm hoping to create the classic crittal look with a dividing wall between my kitchen area and livingroom but at a fraction of the cost of the metal framed real thing.
I was thinking perhaps wooden framed painted dark may create the same effect but again I'm having trouble sourcing this.... while keeping within our tight budget.

PLEASE HELP.

Comments (12)

• PRO
    OnePlan
    5 years ago
    Look at shower screen products too ! As they tick all the safety boxes re glass - just be sure to check you don’t need fire ratings for those doors. You don’t ever want to compromise safety for aesthetics.
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

You could also try the Ikea Pax frames...................I don't know what the glass is like, but it may be easily changed, I don't know, but with frames at that price it's worth a look.

A picture of the space you're trying to fill would help.

• PRO
    Clarisford
    5 years ago

Hi Alan, try Lema Mobilii. They do crittal style doors for wardrobes (they also can make these as large crittal panels) . They have a London shop and are extremely helpful. The other alternative is what I have done in the past is get a metal frabricator to make up the frame for you, if you go this route one thing to watch is the weight of the frame. Steel might be too heavy for the wardrobe carcass or you might need to put in extra hinges. Hope this helps.

• Alan Gilmore
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks clarisford.
    It is for a room dividing doorway between a kitchen/dining room and a living room.
    Something similar to these:
  • Alan Gilmore
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks clarisford.
    It is for a room dividing doorway between a kitchen/dining room and a living room.
    Something similar to these:
  • Alan Gilmore
    Original Author
    5 years ago

something like these:

• PRO
    Cherwell Windows
    5 years ago

Hi Alan, we have just done something similar for one of our customers. If you'd like to contact us and discuss your budget, we could see what is possible. These are Aluminium crittal windows.

Cherwell Windows

• joehursey
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

We used this company www.modularscreens.co.uk for a vintage industrial steel Crittall style door, there really beautiful and reasonably priced :)

• PRO
    MassimoSky
    4 years ago

Hi Alan. Take a look at our internal door range. Crittal Style Doors.

If you would like a quote drop us a line at hello@massimosky.com. You will be surprised how reasonably priced they are :-)

• PRO
    YES Glazing Solutions
    4 years ago

Hi Alan,

There are many alternatives to Crittall steel doors and windows that will appeal because of the low cost, but there are very good reasons to choose genuine Crittall...

• The quality of steel used in genuine Crittall is exceptionally high. Low quality steel will degrade and rust (surprisingly quickly)
    • The steel is dipped in a molten bath of zinc to galvanise and protect it from rust - practically forever!
    • The zinc-galvanised steel frames are finally protected even further with an extremely durable epoxy-free polyester powder coating (available in any RAL colour!)
    • Crittall steel is incredibly strong and will withstand the stresses of daily use.
    • Crittall is a hand-made product that receives the full attention of a small team of craftsmen, expertly checking quality and ensuring excellence at every level of construction.
    • The modern double-glazed windows are insulated with Krypton gas rather than Argon (or air) which provides a better thermal barrier for improved insulation.

Genuine Crittall is imitated everywhere now, and for good reason - it is simply the best! The classic design and much sought after style may not cost as much as you think though and it is always worth seeking a quote. You can visit the YES Glazing Solutions showroom and see the quality of genuine Crittall doors, including our set of Crittall sliding doors and see why they are worth every penny!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.