jubaida_rashid

How to design bathroom?

Juby R
5 years ago
So the new house we’ll be moving into has a horrid bathroom. I want to change all of it.

I want the wet room style shower still- obviously new tiles and a glass screen. Neutral coloured tiles or grey maybe? With spotlights, but not on that wooden ceiling that’s there at the moment.

I want a separate bathtub - I like the freestanding ones but I don’t think it’ll be big enough for one. I’ve also had a look at the recessed (?) bathtub with tiles all around which look quite nice.

I also like the idea of the wall hung toilets and vanity basins. Would like a mirror over the basin.

Possibly some extra form of storage if it fits anywhere and a heated towel rail.

I like the thought of a statement tiled wall either in the shower area or bathtub.

Comments (43)

• Juby R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    More pics
  • Juby R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Any ideas if I can do all this???

Or am I just being silly now...
  • Related Discussions

Tiny bathroom design - Help!

Q

Comments (21)
    I would still suggest tanking/waterproofing the room prior to the installation of a standard shower tray or bath. Waterproofing membranes with the European Technical Approval will withstand normal movement within a house but the flooring and walls need to be of sound construction - a wetroom can be properly fitted in age of building. These principles apply to a standard tray or bath as the silicone beading around the edge may fail (from movement/age) and let wall bypass the tray, causing damage to the building underneath. This picture was taking after a bath with wall mounted shower was removed. The silicone had failed causing the wood to rot. This was all replaced and the below was created in its place: A bath will be easier for people with young children and if you plan to sell on, a wetroom will appeal to some where a bath will appeal more to others. Which ever path you choose (both your designs look nice) I would recommend waterproofing the room before it is installed. Kind Regards Mike
    ...See More

Need bathroom inspirations for compact bathroom

Q

Comments (10)
    Hi. I'm a bit confused, have you bought the vanity and are looking to paint it? Is the rest of the bathroom fitted as you could add brass or copper taps for instance with a matching mirror? Accessories will also warm it. I like a little wooden stool in a bathroom which you can add accessories to i.e. A candle, natural sponge, flannel etc which has some texture. A plant on the window sill if you have one and then nice accessories for the sink and either some coloured towels or I like hammam ones. I've found a couple of pics but they may not post as houzz has issues :( These are using deep rich colours which may bring the cabinet towards you a little. A darker top for the vanity would also work
    ...See More

Make one bathroom smaller? Advice on bathrooms remodel

Q

Comments (18)
    I've been thinking about options to cover all basis and came up with this. To allow guests to use a bath/shower the ensuite would be shared. I added a wall in the master bedroom to divide it and add privacy so guests don't have to walk into the bedroom to get to the bath/shower. The upsides are that the ensuite is larger, includes a bath and shower and has more vanity room. Also, by diving the bedroom I can add sort of a walk-in wardrobe. The downsides are that there's only one bath/shower that has to be shared and guests have to walk through the walk-in wardrobe to get to it. Also, it reduces the size of the master bedroom but it's quite a long room anyway and it would cut out the light from the windows in the bedroom. Personally I don't see these as big problems but I guess some people won't like it. Do you think this is a good idea?
    ...See More

Relocating bathroom door or entire bathroom and kitchen

Q

Comments (22)
    Thanks for all the great ideas guys! Just had the builder to view the flat and here are some updates: builder said the soil pipe seems to be straight down, but could install a pump to flush it; although the estate agent said the pipe goes from external wall at the back of the flat. Not exactly sure who is correct. the budget is likely to go between 30k-35k. I also had a measure of the current bathroom dimension which is 1.67*2.13m. and the ceiling height is 2.56m. we'll probably change the bedroom wardrobe and free up some space as well...
    ...See More
  • Mohamed Hassan
    5 years ago
    you can just replace the tile or ceramic
  • Juby R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I’m just thinking would everything I want fit in that space nicely. Not sure how to organise it.
  • Jonathan
    5 years ago
    Like this?
  • Juby R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks Jonathan , I wasn’t sure if I could fit a standard sized bath in there. Don’t want it to feel cramped either. Not great estimating size of things.
  • Jonathan
    5 years ago
    The bath I have drawn is 1700x 800. But I think you could fit in one that is 1800 long
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The only thing you need to find out first is why the vent is put in back left, and why it's venting in to the room. You'd need to investigate the soil pipe and why there is a vent there to start with. I'm guessing that it's movable, can't think why it wouldn't be, but it's in the way and it's not right!

Also, you need to know the measurement of the little nibs that come out. There's one on the right as you walk in and I think there are two on the left by the shower, so the left will dictate the shower size.

Something like this:-

• Juby R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Those nibs are what’s worrying me. I am hoping they can somehow hide those bits away somewhere we can’t see... I haven’t got a clue why they are there or what they are hiding . The measurements of those bits are roughly like this I think.

Those images are very helpful thank you.
  • Juby R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Brilliant- that has been super helpful.

I have contacted a few people to come and give quotes so at least I kind of know where I’m going with it now.

Thank you.
  • Jonathan
    5 years ago
    I agree that the 26cm nibs are structural but you might be able to get rid of the corner half height box depending on what is in there. If you have the budget to finish the job you could start yourself, take off tiles around the sink and the corner box to see what it is- chances are a plumber would need to do that anyway to tell you if it can be moved.
    I don’t agree that you should work around the nibs - I think boxing in at least the one on the left hand wall makes tiling simpler and more streamlined and means you don’t have to choose small tiles like the previous owner did. The boxing also means you have flexibility in the basin position. Boxing does reduce your space in the room slightly but I still think you would have room for a 1300x900mm shower. I would enclose it with a screen and a door because I think these showers are warmer- but if you are set on a walk in arrangement you can have an 750mm screen and a 550mm opening. Do some research on waterproofing walk in showers- and find a fitter who has a experience. Ceiling- I might lower the ceiling slightly to hide the beam, add insulation and reduce the impact of the sloping ceiling part. I have drawn a good sized basin as I think you need this in a main bathroom- but I think MATH is right that it is nicer to see the bath when you first enter the room rather than the loo.
    Storage- alot of the boxing to hide nibs is hollow so you could construct it half height to put shelves or a towel rail above or behind the sink have an inset cabinet. Wall hung toilets look great- consider if you will see it is wall hung if slotted in between the wall and bath- there may be a cost saving to be had. If you do get a wall hung unit make sure the fitter adjusts the frame to the correct height before it is too late to change it ( there have been a few dilemma posted on Houzz about that!)
    Lighting- I agree that the cladding needs to come off the ceiling and then add spotlights, because of the slope I would have the lights in the tallest part of the room and choose adjustable ones, I would add a mirror light by the basin and a walk over light with a not very bright bulb which is kinder to your eyes if visiting the loo in the night or soaking in the bath.
  • Juby R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks Jonathan.

I would like the look of the wall if all the bibs were hidden but just trying to weigh up about how much smaller the bathroom would feel.

Also by lowering the ceiling - I just don’t want it to feel cramped. At least just the illusion of it seeming spacious.

Then again I want large tiles, so if that’s easier to do with hiding the nibs... lots to think about

I do really want a walk in shower without a door, just a glass panel. Something I’ve always wanted so I will stick with that.

I am thinking if I place the toilet where it’s been suggested , I probably won’t go for a wall hung toilet as it’s kind of hidden away anyway. Maybe a back to wall one .
  • Juby R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Also , what do you mean by “walk over light”
  • Juby R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Also liking the cabinet idea and storage possibilities- I’m always a fan of extra hidden storage areas
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Can you just confirm the measurements of this bit where the shower is......i've only got a rough guess at 1380mm long by 'not sure'. This will dictate the shower and type. I need to see if you have enough room for a glass panel without a door.

I personally wouldn't have a wet room floor and glass panel. I'd have a low profile tray and glass panel.

This is mine:-

This one is 1800mm long with a 1200mm glass panel. I put niches in the back wall for standing shampoo etc and the shelves are concrete imbedded in the wall, so you can actually sit on the lower one if you want.

• Jonathan
    5 years ago
    I think these are correct
  • Jonathan
    5 years ago
    Walkover light- you sometimes see these in hotels as a night light. If you think it’s a good idea then choose somewhere discrete for it so you don’t actually walk over it- for instance under a wall hung vanity or in the corner by the door.
  • Juby R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    What would you say are the pros and cons of wet room style ? I just think they look nice and open and make the room look spacious. I’m being told by a few people not to go for wet room but the usual reasons is it’ll feel cold. I’ve used them before and I’ve been okay with it. Are there any other reasons I would need to consider ?

Ive attached some measurements I took a while ago. There were no official measurements given by estate agents.

Make what you will of them- I’m no expert at measuring
  • Jonathan
    5 years ago
    I think there is an error on the measurements as one end of the room is 25 cm bigger than the other!

Separately I am cautious of wet room showers for several reasons. Firstly installation- the purchase cost of a shower tray versus a wet room kit appears similar until you consider the cost of additional floor tiles. Although you like large wall tiles in the shower small tiles are better (because of the necessary slopes and angles for drainage) often they are significantly more money plus have an additional installation costs. Secondly grout on a shower floor will discolour so you should choose a brown or dark grey grout which may not be your taste. Thirdly people worry about building movement and the seals on these wet room kits failing -repairs require full removal of all the tiles an issue you wouldn’t have with a shower tray. The warmth of a walk in shower with no door to keep the heat in depends on the heat of your bathroom- don’t assume the bathroom in your Victorian terraced house will be as warm as the hotel bathroom on your summer holiday.
    I like MATHs solution of a low profile shower tray with a screen and opening.
  • Juby R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yeah I was pretty sure there was an error in measuring which is why I wasn’t sharing them so readily !

I will have a look at shower rooms with low profile trays and see how I feel about them. Don’t want to get this wrong and regret it ! Especially if it’s going to be expensive to change etc.
  • Juby R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Are flush fitting shower trays and low profile shower trays the same thing ? (Sorry might be obvious but I can’t tell).

Also do they only come in white ? I would want it to blend in with surroundings. Ones that are described as flush fitting seem to come in different colours (I’m basing this on a 2 min google search)
  • Jonathan
    5 years ago
    Flush fit trays should be flat with the floor tile, lower profile trays have a small lip, standard trays have a bigger lip. In my mind it all comes down to how much water the tray can hold before overflowing. You can get a fast flow waste to help but in my opinion you judge the quality of a shower by how you get soaked ie what the water flow is like.
    The walk in shower styles work best when the screen size can be sizeable (and of course the trays are larger and hold more water). If you have a shower enclosure the door aperture is a minimum of 50/55cm so it is reasonable to have the same with a walk in shower- if you have a 1300mm space you will have a screen that is 750/800mm- I worry that this wont catch the spray- this type of arrangement in my opinion works best in a large space (like MATHs where he has a 1200 screen).
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Right, so now that we have the right measurements you can see that you can't fit a bath, a vanity, the toilet and a walk in shower in.

you can't really have a walk in shower as the opening isn't large enough for a glass panel and a gap to walk past. I'd put a sliding door on it. Or, if you wish you could leave it open, but i prefer the door.

You have plenty of room for wide vanity unit and toilet.

Alternatively, ditch the separate shower idea, have a shower bath, put the vanity in the nook where the shower was and you get the bath space you need.

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Cracked it...............Freestanding bath across the far left corner, build the niche out on the left to make it wide enough for a radiator.

Shower back in the bottom corner

Vanity top right ( vanity with basin toilet combined type )

Mirror placement could be awkward, but you can't have everything.

Get one of those that swings out from the wall and put it on the right near the window.

• Juby R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Oh now it’s getting complicated again lol

Okay my priority is the shower - I only want a bathtub because I have a 6 year old. What about reducing the bath size ? Or corner bath?

I’ve lived with shower over bath my whole life and I can’t cope with it anymore ! I only ever use the shower really.
  • Juby R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Oo that’s different. I didn’t think a freestanding one was possible- will have a think about that option
  • Jonathan
    5 years ago
    If you are ok with a corner style bath consider this. This type of bath is usually 1500mm long and 950mm wideout you could also get a standard shaped bath but only 1500/1600mm long.
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Ah the corner bath

Now it's coming together. You can swap the vanity to the other corner so that you can have a mirror over it and the bath on the back right.

Beautiful .............please note that I combined the nibs on the left to make a larger one big enough to hang a towel radiator on.

• PRO
    Jade Jefferies
    5 years ago
    Would it be possible to move the entrance door to where the existing shower is? If you entered the room here instead, then blocked up the old door way, you could potentially have a longer shower tray here?
  • Jonathan
    5 years ago
    Alternative
  • Juby R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    You guys are amazing- thanks so much! I feel a lot less stressed about this now.

I’m thinking separate vanity and toilet because I just like the look of it but if it feels more spacious with the combined toilet vanity , I may go for that.

Brilliant!
  • Juby R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestion Jade - I’m not too sure about how that would work yet as I still haven’t figured out how to do my kitchen on the other side. Kitchen also needs complete renovation... there’ll be plenty of threads on that soon...
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Totally agree with Jonathan about the shower screen, the aperture is just not wide enough and you wouldn't be able to fit in a large enough screen to stop spray plus walk past it.

• Juby R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    So what size bathtub /vanity etc do you recommend that I buy ?

Also if I wanted to have some statement tiles - do I do it behind bathtub or shower or both?? I like grey for tiles but did want some colour somewhere to brighten things up.

Would grey make bathroom look even smaller or would I get away with it ? Any particular shades recommended ?
  • Jonathan
    5 years ago
    I think you need to check the labour cost- this will give you an idea of available budget for purchases. Then you need to decide on how much is going to get tiled and you can then work out the budget for tiles and how much is left for sanitary ware. Beware the cost of tiling with porcelain tiles will be more than ceramic tiles. Tiles may well be lots more than the bath/basin/wc
    Personally I would have the floor tiled with a wood plank tile and then choose something plain for the walls. I would tile full height in the shower and half height the rest. I would choose pale neutral tiles and then paint above in a confident colour.
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Everything Jonathan says is correct. You have to factor in the prep for the room. Removing tiles re-doing the water pipes, chasing them in to the walls etc. Then the re-tiling.

The labour is the biggest budget usually.

We went for rectified porcelain...........not for the faint hearted. Nasa would have a problem drilling through those. So, yes, as above choose the tiles carefully.

Our bathroom is roughly the size of yours without the corner missing. So, take 25% off the tile cost of the tiles:-

The tiles were £1500 ( wall and floor ) - The wall tiles are 900mm x 450 the floor tiles are 1200 x 300

Bath - half price £695

Shower - half price £299

Toilet - full price £450

Vanity Full price £699

Bath taps £300

Basin taps £150

Shower valve £150

Shower head and arm £150

Shower spray hose and head £150

Aquapanel £95

Tile adhesive £95

Coloured Grout £45

Total cost of purchases £3,278

We ( the wife - my labourer and I ), took down two walls, moved a doorway, put one wall back up. We re-routed all the pipework, central heating, hot and cold feet, chased pipes in to the walls etc.

The whole thing took 3 weeks and I had a tiler friend help me for 3 days. Plus on top of that I had a plasterer in for the weekend for £400. Thus we only paid £1200 for the labour.

If I had charged for my labour - plus mate for say 2 weeks, ( not three - as I wasn't working flat out ) instead of doing it for free it would have cost a further £2,500. Total labour should have been :- £3,700 plus the purchases £ 3,278 = £6,978

The bathroom is a luxury bathroom, so yes it's at the higher end of the market, but you can see how things mount up. Even when you try and save on the items going in, it's still the labour that gets you. A bathroom is a horrible, job, i'd rather do a kitchen any day and that's bad enough.

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

These are the sizes I used:-

Overnight I also thought of spinning the vanity round the other way, I think it looks more spacious. I used the same size 1000mm.............so down to personal preference.

• Juby R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you both for all the help.

I budgeted about 5k for the bathroom. Will have to see once I get a quote how much... it’s useful to know how much you paid as well as it gives me a rough estimate.

Would I be able to fit a 1500 corner bath in there do you think?

I do prefer the second pic with toilet facing towards bath more. Not sure about combined toilet basin - generally don’t like the look of them. I’m going to have one of those in the upstairs toilet as it’s a box room, so didn’t really want it downstairs too.

The pics are really useful. MATH did you tile floor to ceiling when you did your bathroom or half way up? I really like floor to ceiling but depends if I can afford all those tiles I guess.
  • Jonathan
    5 years ago
    Definitely check the labour cost- I think if MATH had to pay a plumber and tiler the bill would have been much more than his calculation.
  • Juby R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    What order do I need to do everything ?

I’m assuming plumbing/electrics first?

The tiling ?
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Our shower area is tiled full height and the rest is half height.

Jonathan's probably right...........Plumbers cost a fortune.............I have the luxury of rarely paying for trade help, so you may well have to add a bit, or more than a bit.

You have to rip everything out first, take the tiles off the wall, get a plumber round to discuss that vent, where you want everything etc. Plumbing first and the electrics, then start putting it all back together, you may well need a plasterer at some point.

Tiles are last. When all tiling done, then you can put all your sanitary ware back in etc.

I would highly recommend getting quotes from bathroom fitters........try My Builder and post your job on there. There's lots of other sites to choose from.

This is way to complicated for a DIY project.

• Juby R
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes , I have posted on My Builder , will having a couple of people to come and see it once we get the keys in a couple of weeks. Should get a better estimate of costs then.

Do you think I could fit a 1500mm corner bath in?
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.