Glass Box Extension/Conservatory

jasmin_m
30 December, 2018
We're thinking of adding a glass box style extension to our south facing sitting room. I was wondering if anyone had a similar addition to their home? How have you managed temperature in both summer and winter?

Many thanks!

Comment (1)

• embzop

Hi, I've got a conservatory that faces SE and it does get very hot, not just in the summer but also in spring when the sun is low and shines directly in. It is lovely in there on the right day though. What I've done to manage the temperature is: kept the exterior-quality doors between the conservatory and the house so the house can be kept cool even when the conservatory is oven-like, the roof has a reflective surface to reduce some of the rays, the windows have both blinds and blackout curtains which I close on the sunniest days, the furniture is heat and fade resistant, plants have to be moved out on the hottest days.

The above makes it sound like the worst room in the house but actually it is lovely so long as it is carefully managed. Good luck, whatever you decide.