0
Your shopping basket is empty.

Original coving from 1700s?

L B
31 December, 2018

Anyone be know if this coving we have in our 1700s house is an original feature?

It could be- to me it looks Regency so the period is right. I must say the ceiling and cornice it this picture looks free from any movement or cracking which makes me think it is a more modern addition designed to be in keeping with the house.
  • AMB
    Agree with Jonathan - it looks like the right style but it also looks too pristine to be 200 years old.
  • L B
    Thank you! I wouldn't have clue what I'd be looking at to confirm this! Any idea who could confirm for certain?
    Also, if it's not originally, I'm keen to get it removed as it doesn't fit with the style of the rest of the house. How easy is this? It's solid so I'd imagine it would be pretty messy!
  • L B
    Happy new year too!
    Even if it is not original it might be still protected by a listing.
    If you are permitted to remove it bear in mind you will be taking out a feature that likely cost a thousand pounds to put in and if the room is grand then an alternate coving will be needed and could cost another grand to get the right scale. Many future purchasers may be expecting this type of feature too.
    There is also the issue of removal. This is likely a heavyweight plaster moulding held up with serious adhesive- expect to need a plaster to repair damage when it is removed which will add to the total cost of the job.
    If it is not your taste have you considered painting it to help it blend in? Personally I don’t like to see bright white used in period buildings as I think it is too harsh- perhaps with a picture of more of the room people can suggest other ways of helping it sit more comfortably.

Country: