shirellepexton

Quarry tiles - what do you think?

Shirelle Grant
5 years ago

Happy new year everyone!

I'm much in need of your design opinions please...

We're in the middle of a fairly extensive renovation of our Victorian townhouse. The typical single-story galley return at the rear of the house has been the main focus of our efforts, with a vision to open up what was a largish breakfast room (aka a through-corridor) and a smallish kitchen, into a large living space. In doing so we've swapped the kitchen and breakfast rooms round to better dedicate the space and vaulted the ceiling over the dining area to add skylights and french doors onto a terrace. The space is fantastic and we're almost ready to install the kitchen but I'm really struggling with flooring choices. We've yo-yo'd between stock grey matt tiles laid metro, white-wash parquet laid herringbone and reinstating the original terracotta quarry tiles. I keep coming back to the quarry tiles. Whilst renovating the space we found a very small area (about 2m sq) of the original quarry tiles. Had they all been there we would most definitely have retained them, no questions asked, decision made.

We're working hard to sympathetically retain all the original features from the period and I am 99% certain that reinstating the quarry tiles is the right call. But I hesitate and I think that's because I've found so few image references that show quarry tiles in a positive light. They all look so cold and mortuary-like. Is that because quarry tiles actually look cold and mortuary-like? Or just because they're off-trend? I can live with off-trend. I can't live with cold and mortuary-like.

I've attached images of the space from our kitchen designer. The kitchen itself is very modern in grey matt with a white and grey quartz worktop - I like the contrast of that against the original period features in the space (stash windows, doors, high ceilings...). The walls will be painted a green (not a sludgy earthy green - more grey blue). I think the quarry tiles will be a nice nod to the period and juxtapose well against the sleek modern finish of the kitchen. Or am I wrong and actually it's just going to look odd?

What do you think?

Perhaps it's all in the laying of the tile? I've found a nice hexagon shape quarry tile that could bring a modern slant to the look. Or maybe we should lay rectangular quarry tiles herringbone style to lift it? Or perhaps we mix terracotta and black/cream tiles to mix it up? I've attached some pics - admittedly they're not very inspiring.

Pros on this decision that I'm certain about a) the terracotta colour of the tiles will look really nice against matt grey cabinets and the green walls, and b) quarry tiles are really budget-friendly at around £20 per sq meter (the rest of the renovation has NOT been budget friendly!)

Any opinions much appreciated! Thank you!

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.