alix_wooding

Best oil for oak?

Alix W
5 January, 2019
Help please, Houzzers - I’ve snagged myself a good old eBay bargain - a big oak bookshelf. I’m going to sand and oil it - but does anyone know the best oil for oak? Danish oil? Oslo oil? Something else?

I’d like it to stay reasonably pale if possible.

Thanks in advance!

• Alix W
    Edit: osmo oil!
  • Alix W
    Bumping in case anyone can help. Thanks!
    colourhappy

Osmo white, brushed on then wipe excess off, finish with Osmo clear. Or Osmo raw then clear.

• forzaitalia

I’ve used both danish oil and Osmo top oil. The danish oil gives the wood a rich warm colour and is oily (obviously). The top oil feels more like a liquid wax. I think I prefer the Osmo top oil as it dries better.

• Alix W
    Fabulous - thank you, both! Osmo it is, then.
    colourhappy

The raw oil or the white oil will keep the wood a bit paler before the clear. The clear oil alone will darken it considerably.

Philip Clay Kitchen Designs LTD

We agree use Osmo clear (pot no. 3062- this will give a clear matt finish) as Danish will darken it :)

• Alix W
    Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for helping. After an epic sanding job, we used Osmo raw. Very happy with the finish!
  • forzaitalia
    That looks fabulous! Thank you for sharing an “after” pic.
  • Alix W
    Thank you! Realise you can’t really see the finish, but you get the general idea.