Laundry room upstairs?

Vicki
6 January, 2019
We're doing some minor renovation work to our house and one of the things we want to do is move our washing machine out of the kitchen. We have a convenient cupboard on the top floor of our Victorian Terrace (in a 2010 attic conversion) that would fit both a washing machine and new tumble dryer on top of it. It's opposite a guest room and next to a bathroom both of which could be used to dry delicates or iron in rather than cluttering the kitchen/snug area as we currently do. My husband is very against moving it upstairs after having spoken to a washing machine repairer who said that upstairs laundry rooms don't work because they shake the house. I've spoken to more people and the opinions are mixed. Our only other options are to change our kitchen washer to washer dryer or add a dryer in the unconverted basement. I'd really appreciate any advice or opinions people have on whether this will work or not.

Thank you

• minipie

Depends where the cupboard is. If it is in a corner against two proper supporting walls then it may well be ok. If it’s on a landing, or sits in the centre of some long joists, or just against a stud wall then not so good. Basically think about how solid the location of the cupboard is within the house.

Do you have any space in the hallway eg some victorian houses have a space in the hall just past the cellar door?

• Vicki
    Hi minipie, thanks for the advice... annoyingly the answer is semi solid... it's against the main partitian wall between our house and the next but on a landing so either side it's stud walls. The cupboard is tight to fit a washing machine in so no room to add extra insulation. Not exactly the best test but if I do fast feet on the landing next to the cupboard the floor doesn't shake or cause furniture in the room next door to shake (I'm not particularly light). what do you think?