rose_williams31

Cant use LVT!? Need "breathable" floors.

Rose Williams
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I had my heart set on a light oak LVT throughout, however there are several issues around this.

The house generally sits at around 60 to 65% humidity at the moment... and more in other areas.

I have been advised that the floors need to be able to "breathe" and LVT will increase damp issues, the very last thing I need. I have also read that closing the floor with LVT and/or the action of sealing the floor would make the damp move to the exterior walls?

The floors are largely nearly an inch thick parquet, but it cannot be removed due to the interior solid walls being built ON TOP of it! Due to the patchiness of materials, concrete infills/floor leveller, OSB board... restoration in the main area is not going to happen. Would leveling atop hardwood (sandwiching it in) also exasperate damp issues?

Due to how the internal walls are built, ripping out the parquet and digging the immensely thick concrete to insert damp measures is a no go.

I looked at engineered wood, because I can find the finish I want and also read about both it's environmental and breath-ability assets, to discover that not only it is double the price, but I would also have to cover the entire area (mainly no original floor in the office) due to the minimum thickness being 14mm plus any kind of underlay making a hazardous step into the living/dining area. Carpet is the "safe" solution, but is entirely impractical for us altogether, especially with wanting a light shade.

I can't say I am worrying too much, because even the price of LVT is a lot of money over the area to end up with damp walls, or creeping/peeking/movement in the flooring itself. Do I go LVT, or the actually less preferred engineered wood that happens to be double cost to boot! Would engineered wood even work?!

Why I wanted LVT so much:

I have 2 cats, 1 husky, hair EVERYWHERE!, I vac EVERY day, and where there is carpet at the moment, it is virtually impossible to get rid of. It is a high traffic area overall having entrance to the kitchen, the office (with the same floor)/main entrance, and exit out to a small patio by the stairwell. The dining room has no windows, the kitchen is next to the tv but that has restricted light coming into it's smaller window too, so you may understand why I want practical floors. The sofas/tan chairs are indicative only - I have 2 silver/grey 2 seater settees and a "tv chair" in tan leather that are virtually brand new. There are currently no skirting boards fitted yet, so at least that isn't in the cost consideration yet.

Comments (17)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.