diva636

Renovation of London Victorian terrace - need creative layout advice:)

diva636
5 years ago

So we went crazy a few years ago and persuaded the bank to lend us the funds for this enormous family house a few years ago. It's crying out for a better layout. With three kids and not much time, we have managed to tackle a few areas, one at a time. Some were exciting, namely the garden and the new garden sliding doors and the front room with the fitting of 200 year old restored French parquet and a woodburner (photos to follow); and some were not so exciting but essential nevertheless, the windows (now toughened glass, double glazed sashes), the shutters with proper blackout blinds in the main bedroom, the loft (boarded and insulated), the boiler and well that's it for now.

Before photo

We've hired an architect to help with the layout and two years later have just about settled on a design. Our first proposal was not achievable with the budget we have, so we went back to the drawing board and have almost settled on a layout.

The main things we hope to achieve in the plans we've managed, but I am still not convinced. We have put the laundry on the first floor and created a tiny ensuite for the guest bedroom up there. Whilst that is a sacrifice, I can see the logic. The house has four floors and I'm forever wrestling laundry up and down the stairs. What I still hope for however, is a utility room on the ground floor. A place where I can dump the kids' muddy shoes, keep the mop and hoover, have a large sink and store sports equipment. We have a lot of 'stuff' that I'd like out of the way.

I'd also like a pantry type area in the kitchen but think I'm pushing my luck with that!

We've removed the stairs down to the basement from the hallway to create a small bike store, and we've created a cloak room that will be for coats and shoes. It has to be quite smart as we will walk through it to use the bathroom. We did consider having the door to open the other way but felt the loo needed to feel more separate.

We also decided to install doors (possibly Crittal but I'm dreaming about period glass doors) between the living room and the library to stop the library feeling like a corridor and also keep the kids/noise out of the living room:) Having lived here, we've realised that open-plan living needs a lot more thought.

I'd love some feedback on this plan. Apologies for the long post, this is my first!

Comments (36)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.