oghma

How to make this Victorian house facade beautiful again?

Kris
5 years ago

I live in a lovely Victorian house but unfortunately the previous owners ripped out the gorgeous bay windows and replaced them with this plastic mess. Not satisfied with that butchery they also knocked down the front garden wall and replaced it with columns . Sad but true.

So my dilemma is around what I should do to make the facade of my home nice looking again.

One option is to restore the bay window and remove the little porch. Neither the cheap nor easy option. The best quote I've got so far is for a whopping £15K. London prices :(. And that doesn't even include any of the brick work nor tackling the front garden.

Another option is to go crazy and hide the front of the house with lots of beautiful plants. Climbing wisterias and tall bushy evergreens kind of job. Maybe restore the brickwork or, if that looks terrible then at least a whole new paint refresh.

I'm having a lot of trouble imaging that the second option will really work. I worry that without restoring the bay window this house will never look like the Victorian beauty that it really is.

I'd love some ideas, please help!

Comments (11)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.