houseadventure

I think I hate our newly restored floorboards obsessively

houseadventure
5 years ago

We’ve just had upstairs laminate and old carpet pulled up and the original Edwardian floorboards restored. Two of the bedrooms had all the original yellow pine boards, the small study had the red pine. The hallway were 90% new pine floorboards as the previous owner had taken a major work in the house.

(this is the red pine, with one floorboard was replaced with a new one by the previous owner)

(The hallway - 90% new floorboards, done by the previous owner about 12-15 years ago )

(one of the bedrooms, all original floorboards, been sanded)

After reading so many stories of the pine floorboards turning into yellow-orange, we decided to stain them a darker colour instead of clear lacquer. We were hoping to achieve a colour even finish and tone down the reddish of the pine. It looked good with just a small sample stain, but the hallway floorboards, the ugly grain of the pine all came out! I hate it obsessively! See the picture of the horror black and yellow combination !!

(The ugly loud grain!)

The rest of the rooms are these:

They still have the red-tone I don’t want...

The stain we used is Fiddes’ Nitro Floor Stain Dark Oak , its oil based stains and finished with clear lacquer.

So I guess my only option here will be putting down a rug on the hallway to cover the horrid floor.

A lesson that I will remember: Do not try to stain new floorboards!

Comments (22)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.