Revamp lounge/diner from scratch - what order should I do/buy things?!

Claire George
17 January, 2019

Hi,

We moved into our house a few months ago and are starting to think about deorating. We have a lounge/diner and we have decided we need new everything - wall colours, carpets, sofas and other furniture. Exciting, yes, but I don't really know where to start! Should I be picking sofas first? Wall colours? Carpets? Which way would people advise I do things in?

Thanks in advance.

• minnie101

Personally I would go sofa, carpet and walls last as there are thousands of paint colours. Re actual painting, I might do the woodwork before the new carpet goes down and tell the fitters to be careful. I've only painted skirting boards with carpet once but it was a nightmare

• jessa61

Funnily enough we've just done the samething and it was so overwhelming to start with. What worked for us was to start with the things you get least choice in and then work up from there starting with least choice (usually sofa fabric) up to most choice (usually paint colours)

• Carolina

I agree with Minnie. Paint colour last. Try to get swatches of everything and look at them in your home, in different lights (day and night). It's amazing how different colours look in different lights. So what looks like grey in the shop, might look purple in your home. Also, hold the swatches together and hold the swatches in the direction they are going in. For example: carpet horizontal, sofa fabric vertical and horizontal, curtains vertical.

Good luck and have fun :-)

• forzaitalia

Start with Furniture first, that is sofas and dining table & chairs, paint walls and then accessories last (rugs, cushions, throws and nik naks). Have a look at the photos on Houzz and Pinterest as that will help you decide what style you like, or don’t like. Good luck.

Man About The House - The DIY & Odd Job Handyman

Agree with Minnie, pick the sofas, then while you're waiting for them paint and get the carpet down after all the painting is finished, then you can accessorize. Don't forget to get a swatch of your sofa colour though, as if you fancy a feature wall you can get the paint mixed to the same shade or match it with wallpaper a lot more easily.