karsten_gardenwise

TOP TIPS to start preparing NOW for your perfect summer garden

Gardenwise
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We've all been there: one minute it's Christmas and you've got plenty of time to sort out the garden before next summer - the next it's Easter, the sun is out and you've left it too late again!

Sumner Eastcote · More Info

That's why it's important to start planning ahead now - even though it's the last thing on your mind. My clients are starting to think about how they want to use their garden this coming summer, what kinds of plants they want to add or remove, the condition of their lawns, and what kind of structure and effect they want to have.

Doing certain jobs in winter makes the garden look better straight away, as well as producing a better garden through the coming season. On top of that it avoids trying to get them done in the mad spring rush of growth.

Sumner Eastcote · More Info

Here are my TOP TIPS for winter:

• Garden design - either overall design, including hard landscaping, or simply planting design. Grasp the opportunity now before the plethora of spring/summer tasks take over.
  • Planting - time for planting summer flowering bulbs, moving plants, and planting new ones. If they are planted/moved in autumn or as soon as possible from thereon, they have time for their roots to grow before next summer, so their watering needs will be less acute.
  • Pruning - now is about the last chance to prune Acers/maples, before the sap starts to rise and they bleed horribly when cut! The same goes for a few other trees (always do a small test cut first!)
  • Weeding - if you clear your garden of weeds now, you will have a major head start on them for the spring!
  • Lawn maintenance - is your grass clear of leaves and debris? Also, is it too long? It can be mowed in milder spells. Try not to smear worm casts around as you go. Autumn fertiliser can be applied.
  • Roses - autumn and the middle of winter is THE time to maintain climbing and rambling roses. In this way you avoid damaging the young shoots that emerge and grow as we go into spring.
  • Pests - surprisingly, many aphids are still lurking. They survive short freezes! These can be polished off with bee-friendly sprays. Organic slug pellets can also be applied - snails, and especially slugs, will still be active in mild spells.
  • Outdoor furniture - you'll need somewhere to sit and enjoy the garden, so have a look in the January sales and pick up a bargain off-season!

North Watford · More Info

What are you working on in your garden right now?

For more information about garden design and maintenance in south Hertfordshire, Watford & north London, please visit my profile and send me a message!

Comments (23)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.