Extension kitchen/living/dining layout help!

Anna
18 January, 2019

We are nearing the end of a side return extension project on our victorian ground floor flat and are struggling on layout.

Our extension space needs to be able to be a space where we can cook, relax on the sofa and eat - which is quite a lot for the size of the space and don't want it to feel cramped.

I'd love some help on the best layout. We need to tell our builder in the next couple of days! We've thought of a few options but welcome to any others!

Option 1:

Kitchen in corner - quite small (ignore where sink/cooker are). Kitchen in pitched roof area so probably no wall cabinets

Grey box is a small pantry.

Challenge on where to put tv

Option 2:

Cosier lounge

Kitchen down wall bit less nice

Small pantry tbc - possibly where brown shelves are

Overall floor plan - extension design TBC, definitely not space for an island. Pitched roof on right hand side of back room:

bubbles bathrooms and tiles

it sounds like option 2 is he slightly better option as you could have a bit more storage in the kitchen area especially if there are restrictions due to the pitched roof in option 1, but some of the other Pros on here might be able to help out a bit more on the layout.

Anna thanked bubbles bathrooms and tiles
    One option
    Anna thanked Jonathan
  • Tani H-S
    Personally, I would skip the formal dining table as that is taking up way too much room for the size of your space. I would do a similar breakfast bar on a peninsula with seating that you can use to eat at instead.

We had one in our last house and with comfy padded stools set into a sociable layout (ie corner and facing stools) we used that and never used the dining table! Even my parents (who are super fussy!) were very happy eating on it.

That would give you a table and more space under for storage and a larger living area.
    Anna thanked Tani H-S
  • J
    I second Johnathon's kitchen extending across the pantry. I'd consider leaving it as a straight run of kitchen units though. No return or peninsula. That would help with opening up the space. If it's a 2 bed flat the 3800mm (?) run should be enough if it's planned well. Especially with a induction hob and smaller sink and that lovely large pantry, you've got more enough space.
    Then you could add a longer but narrow table with one bench seat. Tuck that against the side wall with the bench under and you can use regular chairs around it (or another bench on the long side). Pull it out from the wall when you have guests over. The leftover space can be filled with a nice lounge area.
    Anna thanked J
  • J

Or incorporate a run like seen here in the latest Houzz story. In your case, a L shape. I'd still skip the island to give you enough space for the lounge area.

Anna thanked J
    Man About The House - The DIY & Odd Job Handyman

Can you supply the dimensions as it's hard to be accurate without them. I like Jonathan's option very much.

• Anna

This one shows the dimensions which hopefully will help.

Thanks all for your suggestions - really like Jonathan's option.

I wonder if you are trying too hard to make full width bifolds work. If you had a set of doors and a separate window that you could put furniture against you might have more options.
    Anna thanked Jonathan

Completely agree with Jonathan..............here's a couple of other layouts with or without added windows, not sure where you lie with your outside walls.

With these the living area faces away from the Kitchen and gives you great kitchen space.

Anna thanked Man About The House - The DIY & Odd Job Handyman