shelleyanderson1204

Where to put the log burner in the open plan family/dining area?

We are in phase 1 of changing the layout of the house, this is to knock two rooms into one at the back of the house and change windows and existing French doors to bifold doors that open out to the back garden. I would like advice on the spatial planning, where to put furniture and specifically a log burner. It is the area referred to as Family room and dining in the plan photo.

The whole area will have underfloor heating but we have so much wood available to us (having had to cut down 3 large oak trees that were too close to the house) we would like a log burner too.

Originally we were considering putting one on the wall next to the entrance from the hallway but it seems like it will be in no-mans land! But a fireplace here would hide the waste pipe that juts out between the two rooms that we are not moving.

Another option was to have a double sided fireplace in the middle of the room but we are concerned about safety as we have quite boisterous 6 yr old twins and this is the family area.

The roofline slopes up, this picture shows where the hallway entrance will be (currently a picture window from the existing kitchen, boarded up for the build).

These openings will be bi-folds. A mid grey stone floor will be throughout. Whatever we do the space will be amazing but I'd like to get it right first time.

We need a dining area and a family area for watching TV and entertaining keeping in mind links to the kitchen space and outside space.

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.