sharon_gustard

Small cantilever on proposed neighbour's extension to our boundary

S G
5 years ago

Hi,

We have just received notification from our local council that our neighbours are planning a large wraparound extension to their property. We haven't major concerns except for the part where they intend to build on what was the driveway between our two properties. Their plan is to build up to 1m of our boundary line on the ground floor and to increase the floor space on the first floor, have a 1m cantilever; creating a path underneath to access their back garden.

Along that side of our house we have a ground floor extension that is approximately 1m from the boundary line (with skylights in). We currently have plants and grass leading up to the border, which is defined by the block paving of the driveway.

I'm not going to deny it does feel a bit close for comfort but from what I have read I don't think we have reason to object on those grounds.

However, I am trying to get my head round the party wall regulations and wondered if there is anyone who can offer advice regarding whether this is going to have an impact on the foundations of our home; I would anticipate even a small cantilever requiring additional foundations or does it depend on the type of structure i,e, brick build or wooden frame?

I don't want to be an objectionable neighbour but obviously want to make sure our property is protected structurally and to maintain its value in the future.

We live in a typical approximately 25 year old estate in a village.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Warm regards

Sharon

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.