webuser_522389357

First home- help needed for loft conversion

Hello. My husband and I are planning to buy a home. It seems like in any house we buy, we need to do some customisation to suit our requirements. We have seen a detached property and we like the location.

However, the loft space as it currently stands and first floor does not suit our needs.

We are a family of 3. We have a steady stream of guests (some staying for long periods ) and hence will like a family bathroom (ideal, but can do without) on the first floor (current bath will then be used as ensuite) and use the study (smaller bedroom) as a guest room. We will like either a dormer or hip to gable conversion for the loft and use it as a second guest room+office (husband works a lot from home). If possible we would like to build an ensuite there. I was thinking of closing the entrance to the sun terrace and moving it to where the windows are currently (in the centre of the house near the landing) so as to have some french doors and steal light from the sun terrace into the currently dark first floor landing.

I will like advice regarding the following

1. Best way to rejig the rooms on the first floor with minimal structural alterations to address need for extra family bathroom (space for a walk in shower and toilet) while keeping 3 bedrooms on the first floor and letting extra light in.

2. Dormer vs hip to gable for loft conversion- is it possible, can the windows for the loft face a park (as per planning regulations) which is to the side of the house and approximate costs (if its too high, it could be a deal breaker)

3. Location for staircase to the loft- I am worried it may eat into the bedroom space. Are there any other options we can explore?

Thank you in advance and hope this makes sense- will be grateful for any kind of advice. I have attached floor plans and a snap of the loft.

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.