Architect or Structural engineer, that is the question?!

Lucey Carter
2 years ago
HELP - Kitchen-diner build support advice required!!
We have a comlex design in mind to knock 3 rooms into one to create an amazing kitchen-diner. The design has a number of issues to overcome ranging from differing floor heights, a desire to vault one of the existing rooms (probably resulting in the need for new roof?) and the addition of a glass wall (probably bi-folds) between the arm and leg of the new 'L' shaped space to create a more triangular space which will be, eventually, reflected in the kitchen island design.
The steel installation is going to be complex and to be honest this is the bit that is causing is the biggest headache, we have been modelling our space for months, we know what we would like but we don't know where to go next to make the dream a reality.
We aren't sure whether we should get a structural engineer in first to assist with the steels and whether we have to have an architect as well? Or can the structural engineer help us without the need for an architect or vice versa??!! As this is our first project, we are at a bit of a loss to know who else will we need to bring in (other than the builder obviously!)
We have a healthy budget but it isn't endless!! We'd like to complete this work before the end of 2019 so are getting desperate for a bit of guidance!! Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience using cookies

By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. Learn more.