e_d_10

Paint part or all of bannister?

E D
5 years ago

I’m in the process of painting the handrail in F&B’s Off Black. Photos show as is currently, in undercoat.

I’ve already painted some timber shelves in that same colour.

I am now wondering wether perhaps it will look better doing all of the banister’s woodwork rather than just the rail.

I’ll also probably paint the bedroom doors (which are downstairs off the same hallway) Off Black.

What are your views?

Comments (86)

• PRO
    Sara Slade Interiors
    5 years ago

Hi, I'd keep all the woodwork the same shade.

• A B
    5 years ago

Good question re the window Minnie! It splits the hall in half, no idea if original or not. Any thoughts welcome...

This is my current thinking. Paint the risers, not the treads and spindles in Railings. Panelling and skirting white. Handrail I think leave as wood though

• Related Discussions

Which color for the banister?

Q

Comments (1)
    Looks like you have some beautiful wooden floors, I would use wood stain and varnish on the hand rails to match the floors then paint the newel posts (technical name for holding posts) in white or even a pretty pale grey satinwood paint. The baluster's could then be the same pale grey or white.
    ...See More

Colour for banisters - F&B

Q

Comments (13)
    I would say you have 2 options: 1) paint as Pat says, but choose a nice dark matt colour, ( or I suppose White if that is you want, its a matter of personal preference), and handrail dyed and varnished MATT, or, stain / matt varnish the whole lot. Here, with discussion with client, and led by the client who wanted a low maintenance finish, the 300 yr old beams had been treated and left as natural, unfinished, and the new soft wood ( budget did not allow for oak or hardwood) was finished in stain and matt varnish - I thought it might not work, but the end result was pleasing to all and very very happy client. This expressed the new joiner from the older structural timber frame. What do you think?
    ...See More

Painting the stairs banister

Q

Comments (8)
    Haha Mandy, photobombing animals! 😄 And yes bannister/spindles looking good 👌 I painted our bannister and jewel post Off Black and (left) the spindles white. I’ll see if I can find photos. I may consider doing it all In Off Black. If I can be bothered. 😂
    ...See More

What paint would you use on a banister hand rail?

Q

Comments (4)
    Ha ha, maybe, but I doubt it. I’m not much of a cleaner. It could be the type of cleaner I suppose. If I use anything it’s either flash spray or a shot of diluted zoflora. We only painted it in spring. Our last house was similar and I definitely didn’t clean that as much as there wasn’t an ongoing global pandemic in progress when we lived there. Maybe my husband is using something else on it?
    ...See More
  • E D
    Original Author
    5 years ago

If that window has no real purpose, I’d remove it for a less cluttered look.

I have a feeling it will look much better without.

• Emma Lamb
    5 years ago

Just done our hall, doors, skirting the lot painted in 'Pompeian Ash' Little Greene. We did originally leave the risers light but it just didn't look right. Happy we went all dark.

• E D
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Looking great Emma and I like you left the spindles light. Seems to work well with the upper part of the wall and the console table, which appears rather close to the stairs...

• E D
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Am in the process of painting all the remaining woodwork in the downstairs hall and stairway a bright white ( same colour as in the rest of the home). Annoyingly the paint on the WC and bathroom doorposts etc keeps going yellow even after painting it bright white twice in the past.

I feel it would be a good idea to now paint this Off Black (but leaving the doors white). This would tie in with the other Off Black bits.

Would you agree?

This is the bathroom area, located on the left just before going up the stairs.

(We have an ‘upside down’ living arrangement)

With off black shelf to give an idea of colour:

• Ninni Noo
    5 years ago
    E D was the white paint oil based?

Not sure about the black frames, it could go either way and look really nice or not. Hopecully someone can do some pictures with them black for you...
    E D thanked Ninni Noo
  • Ninni Noo
    5 years ago
    Staircase and bannister looks great by the way ;)
  • AMB
    5 years ago
    I'm not feeling black door frames. But I am one in favour of classic white wood. I think if you want contrast you should paint the doors black and keep the frames white.
    E D thanked AMB
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    5 years ago
    Stairs looking fab ! Personally I’d go for door frame AND doors in same colour - if the railings is too dark - try something else that picks up on the colours in you home.
    E D thanked OnePlan
  • Jules Mc
    5 years ago

To pick up on the transformed bannister I'd also be tempted to go black doors and white architraves. Think they'd look great.

E D thanked Jules Mc
  • Patrina
    5 years ago
    I agree with leaving the frames white and painting the doors black
    E D thanked Patrina
  • E D
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks all, really appreciate your comments.

I can see why most of you seem to favour doors black, frames white.

But, what about doing both, frames and doors in black?

This would avoid the yellowing and create a kind of bathroom/toilet ‘zone’.

• Jules Mc
    5 years ago
    I looked for black architraves and doors ED but couldn't find any useful examples. Perhaps some clever Houzzer could do you a photoshop version to see.
  • E D
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I’ve had these in an ideabook for some time.

But yes a mock up in the different options would be fab!...

• E D
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Just noticed, One Plan, you made this suggestion already. Were you referring to the colour ‘Railings’ (F&B)?

• User
    5 years ago
    I initially thought that it might look a bit daft just painting the doors and door frames dark without doing the rest of the woodwork, e.g. leaving that white, but having just looked at a few pictures to see, I think either way would work. Leaning towards the black door and frames (first picture with dog in it) for your space.
    E D thanked User
  • Jules Mc
    5 years ago
    Those examples are great and it would deal with your potential yellowing paint problem too if you did go all black.
  • rachelmidlands
    5 years ago
    Hi Ed. Think what you’ve done so far looks great, also wanted to second the tip from MATH about using clear varnish on top of paint. Just done this with my kitchen door frames and skirting and I’ve used plain emulsion then 3-4 coats of water based varnish which hopefully will stop it from the yellowing you get with oil based paints, (primed first with E.S.P) the results have been good so far. As for doors I think if you’re doing the skirting black then I would do all the door frames and doors black as well. Its not traditional but I think if you love it then go for it! :-)
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    5 years ago
    I have been using Charlestone grey on doors architraves and skirtings recently in my home - with plain white walls and it works really well - but I know it’s not to everyone’s taste ! I started it to overcome the same yellowing white problem ! If you have plenty of natural or artificial light then the railings could look stunning - but if there’s not much light - another colour from your palette might work for you - like Charlestone grey has for me ! Hope that helps !
  • A B
    5 years ago
    This is our update ED. Yours is looking great and I look forward to seeing what you do with your doors
  • Ninni Noo
    5 years ago
    The yellowing comes from oil based paints since they had to minimise/remove VOCs from them. Its best to use a satinwood to avoid this in future... Im liking both versions - doors black with either black or white frames. Cant quite picture One Plans suggestion but it sounds interesting
  • Ninni Noo
    5 years ago
    Oops! I meant a water based satinwood or similar product :)
  • E D
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thanks Shuly, the doors/frames in the photo with dog look great. Seems to do what I was hoping to achieve.

• E D
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the heads up re varnish etc Rachel.

All the skirting will remain gloss white.

I was wondering if Dulux do a water based gloss so I can possibly do the frames in the same colour as the rest of my woodwork, even the bathroom and W.C. doors since they then won’t (hopefully) yellow.

I will probably paint these doors in black only, to start with and see what that looks like, befire taking the final decision.

• E D
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jen, I have a feeling your stairs are looking great, but the whole photo appears very orangey brown so doesn’t do them justice I’m sure.

Can you possibly take a pic in better light?

Did you renew the threads?

• PRO
    OnePlan
    5 years ago
    Doors architraves and skirting all CG and walls white ...
  • E D
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Aargh One Plan, I’m almost tempted to change my Off Black items to CG!

Your photo looks lovely, I would not do the skirting though, I’m finally done finishing nearly all of them (in two stages).

Is this photo taken in your home?

• Patrina
    5 years ago
    OnePlan love that pic!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    5 years ago
    Yes - that’s the door to the twin guestroom ! It’s a little bit dark in that end ( old cottage ) hence the use of white - and the CG warms it up nicely !
  • A B
    5 years ago
    You are right ED. There is very limited natural light in the Hall so always dark. The handrail is an orange brown and we’ve not touched it. May paint it too in the end. I think the previous owners replaced the treads. It’s tricky knowing how far to go with painting and what to leave!
  • Emma Lamb
    5 years ago

Thanks ED don't worry, it's not as close as it actually appears....I lurve dark frames and doors...I've done it in the rest of the hall. Didn't care it felt dark as it leads into a white kitchen and double doors straight into the garden. Embrace the darkness I say. Staircase modelled by Millie

• Emma Lamb
    5 years ago
    The walls are bleached lichen 4 and the pale woodwork is bleached lichen 3. Not a fan of white in my house. Just looks too stark rather than a nice subtle flow. Joining in the oil/water based paint discussion. Oil based will yellow without uv light. Think of a white painted windowsill with a vase on, remove the vase and there's that yellow circle. It's always been an issue and has nothing to do with current voc regs but the pigmants used in white paint, hence why it doesn't happen in darker colours. I prefer oil for its toughness but not for how long it takes to dry.
  • Ninni Noo
    5 years ago
    Hey! Sorry Emma, i disagree ☺️ hubby is a professional painter and stated about the VOCs. A couple also managed to successfully sue Dulux for their paint yellowing. Here is an end piece of the article...
    Dulux has admitted the problem was caused by new EU regulations which forced it to water down solvent levels in paint. A spokesman for parent company AkzoNobel, said: ‘AkzoNobel takes all issues of customer satisfaction very seriously. In this particular case, we endeavoured to resolve Mr Margerison’s complaint, which related to paint manufactured a number of years ago, by offering to repaint the areas complained of at our cost. We are therefore disappointed that this case had to proceed to a court hearing.’

Rival Crown Paints has put a warning on some of its tins saying: ‘Recent changes made to meet reduced solvent levels may lead to yellowing over time.’

Johnstone’s Paints said innovation in advance of the new rules ‘ensure the changes to the end user will be minimal’.

Really hope you dont mind me saying ☺️
  • PRO
    My Bespoke Room
    5 years ago

In our opinion we think you should paid the spindles dark as well as the banister, it will add drama to the space :)

E D thanked My Bespoke Room
  • Emma Lamb
    5 years ago
    I don't mind you saying at all. However white gloss paint has always oxidized pre 2011 it just happened quicker since the EU regs on VOCs changed and it has always been to due to light deficiency. That's what I was getting at really, I remember the window sills at my nannas in the 80's being yellow under all her ornaments. The only way to solve it use water based or not white! My hubs works for British Standards and he assures me I aren't having a mental blockage in regards to my time lines lol. Love a gentle heated debate.
  • Jason Lamb
    5 years ago
    husband here, I d have loved to paint the spindles dark, no cutting in! not happy ing now though. there was enough drama doing it with two dogs.
  • Ninni Noo
    5 years ago
    Ah ok Emma, thank you that is interesting, didnt realise the process has only speeded up. Agree with you totally on water based products ☺️
  • Ninni Noo
    5 years ago
    Ah ok Emma, thank you that is interesting, didnt realise the process has only speeded up. Agree with you totally on water based products ☺️
  • Ninni Noo
    5 years ago
  • Ninni Noo
    5 years ago
    Whaa, i have no idea why my previous comment shows up three times! Or at least its showing up 3 times on my phone
  • Ninni Noo
    5 years ago
    Whaa, i have no idea why my previous comment shows up three times! Or at least its showing up 3 times on my phone
  • E D
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sorry, bit of a long thread but thought it’d still be clearer than starting a new one.

I’ve touched on this subject before but want to present it to you again:

Do you think painting these doors, of bathroom and separate toilet, in F&B’s Off Black would work?

Also, would I need to paint the insides of the doors too?

• E D
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here’s two more photos for a bit of ‘context’.

Bathroom and loo are down the stairs on the right.

• Victoria
    5 years ago
    Yes to painting, no to interiors
    E D thanked Victoria
  • Patrina
    5 years ago
    E D yes to painting. I think it will look Fab.
    E D thanked Patrina
  • AMB
    5 years ago
    Paint them!!
    E D thanked AMB
  • Sonia
    5 years ago
    The staircase looks great, almost as good as my bookcases haha! I think the dark touches like the stair rail and carpet really add depth to the scheme. I think the doors painted dark will also look jolly smart.
    E D thanked Sonia
  • Emma Lamb
    5 years ago
    Yes go for it. No don't paint the insides, they lead into the room where the doors are still white.
    E D thanked Emma Lamb
  • E D
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Cheers all.

Lol forza! Btw, the flooring appears darker in the photo than it is in the flesh.

What would be the reason not to paint the insides of the doors?

Emma, do you mean if you come out of the bathroom or loo, you’ll see white doors?

There are no other white doors coming off this area.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.