leila_rasheed

Extending (broken plan) without demolishing the back wall?

Leila Rasheed
5 years ago
Just wondering if anyone has experience of this... We live in an Edwardian end terrace and have been considering a single storey extension towards the back, to extend the kitchen area and add a shower room. The rooms that would be affected are the galley kitchen which has some nice original windows to the rear (which we want to keep) and the back living room which has 1980s sliding doors, patio style to the rear (which we don't!).
I just had the idea that rather than Knock out the whole back wall, we could just take out the patio doors and take the kitchen door, which sits in between the nice windows, off the hinges, then build out from there. So it wouldn't be the very 'clean' looking completely open plan space that kitchen/dining extensions often seem to be, but more a series of connected spaces (obviously we'd finish it nicely, not just leave a hole where the doors were :)) where the original position of the walls is quite obvious. I feel this would suit us, and the house, better and I suspect would also save money, as less demolishing to do, and save knocking about what's a fairly elderly house too much, as well. However I'm a complete novice at extensions and I haven't really seen any pictures of this kind of approach -what do you think, good idea or not??

Comments (12)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.