webuser_331513365

New build 1BR help (living, dining, hallway areas)

Genie
5 years ago

Hi! I just moved into a new build 1BR place that's quite tiny (but fine for 1 person and a first home!). I'm having some issues with layout/proportion, and generally just not sure what to do with the space since it has a rather weird shape.

Here's a floorplan with some hastily scribbled measurements in cm, hope it makes sense:

Picture of actual space while empty with almost floor to ceiling window wall:

I'm looking to replace the roller blinds with vertical blinds instead. Generally I would like to aim for a Scandic look, and I have already ordered this sofabed that according to measurements, will fit into that space between the utility cupboard and the 40cm space before the window. Currently, there's a lot of grey with white walls and oak floor/doors. Was thinking blue accent maybe with a rug? But what size? Blue pendant shade? Again, what size?

Here's another picture with quite a bit of my crap... The boxes behind the chair is meant to stimulate a low open shelve unit that serve to split the dining/living area and provide some more shelf space for some books/small plants. I'm debating whether to get rid of the tall shelf which I've had for a few years before moving in, so it came with me. Originally had it at where the boxes are, but with the side against the wall, but it was blocking the view from the "dining table" and I wanted to open up the space a bit and have the view outside be a feature where you can still see out while sitting at the dining area.

Currently have balcony furniture for dining furniture since I can't figure out whether a D100 round table would be too big for the space and maybe D90 would be better. The table there is D60 which is far too small for my need, but will do in the short term. Its a beach towel under the balcony set since the chairs/table were seriously scratching the floorboards and I had to put something under them!

Kitchen in the picture below is mostly fine, though I'm looking to replace the cupboard handles with something slimmer. Its all grey with oak again.

And then there's the small hallway... where the main thing I can't figure out are the pendant lights... its just bare light bulbs right now. I also can't figure out the pendant lights in the living area. What size? A pair? All 4 different shades?? The space between the bedroom door and the coat rack I'm thinking a small chest of drawers like this. I was originally planning a console table, but I need more storage, so chest of drawers would be more practical.

I need a bench here since I've been trying to find somewhere to sit to put on my socks/shoes in the mornings. Something like this where I can shove the shoe rack underneath so they both take up the same floor space.

So, yeah, that's the space.... Any ideas? Suggestions? The biggest headache now is basically the size of dining table/chairs, and pendant shades for hallway/living area.

Comments (15)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.