rouge_marine

Ground layout options for house renovation

Rosie
5 years ago

Hi Everyone,

We have recently moved into a 1920’s 3-bed semi with plans to renovate the ground floor and would really appreciate your thoughts on our layout options.

The house currently has a rear extension which was built in two phases (which is why the extension is divided in two) and has a hipped roof. The current “living room” is quite long and a bit dark and gloomy at the inner end so we would like to open it up to more light, and create a more connected kitchen -dining space.

Current thinking is to knock through the dividing wall in the extension and replace the hipped roof with a monopitch with skylights. We would like to knock down the existing rear wall pier but are trying to keep major structural alterations to a minimum (to control costs) so are looking at ways to incorporate it into the new layout.

There is also a chimney wall between the living room and kitchen which we are hoping to remove (partially) and support on new steel beams.

The ground floor is suspended timber throughout except for kitchen (and kitchen extension) which is solid, so have tried to reroute services where necessary to avoid breaking up the solid floor.

I’ve attached a current layout along with two proposed options and would welcome any feedback or suggestions.

Many thanks! Rosie

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.