joestifff

Lounge Design and Layout Help

Joe
5 years ago

Good Afternoon all you helpful people.

We are wanting to redesign our lounge, with a bit of inheritance we would like to treat ourselves to new sofas, fresh paint, and more modern furniture. The issue being, we are both fairly rubbish at knowing what goes with what, plus it is a minefield of colours and accessories.

I have come up with a rough plan of what I think "could" work, plus some examples of furniture we have seen we like, however, if non of this matches or works, be honest and tell me. i want to get it right first time.

The only item of furniture I would like to keep are the two Ikea armchairs (see photos below) however, if these don't work, I guess they can go elsewhere.

The room is fairly big (5.6m x 3.4m) but suffers from one main single door and a set of double doors to the kitchen, which makes furniture placement difficult.

Below is the layout I mention "could" work, along with photos of the furniture we like, a photo showing the Ikea chairs in situ at the moment, and a photo from the kitchen through the double doors the day we moved in. We have painted the wall with the double doors navy blue, we both love this colour, and have curtains on the opposite wall to match, but the other three walls are awful magnolia as we have no idea what

It gets very sunny the room as it is near enough south facing. Anyway on with the pictures.

The "proposed" layout:

Main sofa, Navy blue (to mix it up so its not all grey!

The smaller snuggle chair in grey:

The footstool in grey, to match the snuggle, can be pushed out of the way if needed for more room:

The current two chairs we have, they're so comfy, currently under the window as it's a tall window and don't want to block it too much:

Ikea Besta units, wall mounted, used the ikea planner to show how the room is and colours etc:

Potential rug, not 100% sure on this, but I like the idea of a large rug to hide the god awful carpet colour:

Industrial ladder shelving?:

Current layout, showing curtains we'd like to keep and the two ikea chairs, the fireplace is fake made by myself, just a flat wall behind, so this can go, this also shows the carpet colour and other three walls colour, all vile IMO, please help with colours, I think even white or grey would be better:

Photp form when we first moved in, looking towards the window that now has blue curtains:

Comments (31)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.