danielbfairway

Chimney part render / part brick?

danielbfairway
5 years ago

Hi, I'm building a chalet bungalow. It will have an external chimney on one gable end, which has a dutch hip / part sloping roof so is not a full gable. The house will have rendered (block) walls left natural or painted off white. I like the idea of having the chimney in brick as contrast, also I want visible brickwork somewhere, but it's expensive and the lower part isn't very visible as on the side.

Hence I'm thinking of having the chimney in matching render finish, but the stack in face brickwork (red stock of some kind). I guess it would need a flashing detail at roof level anyway so this provides a natural break. Roof will be clay tiles so will match the bricks nicely. The stack will be up to about 1.7m tall, i.e. from dutch hip up to ridge level.

My question is, is this a "done thing" to have a part and part chimney finish like this, and can anyone help on some example photos as I'm struggling to find any?

Many thanks.

Comment (1)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.