and_99

Kitchen colours

and_99
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We need some inspiration for the right colours for our kitchen doors, counter and walls.

We will potentially be changing both, just one restriction being the cabinets are made with a washed out oak (grey oak) and we can’t really change them!

We are increasing the island size to provide 3 seats along the side backing in the lounge, along with the 2 seats on the far end. It is way to small for the space. The hob is being moved to opposite the ovens so we have better counter space each side. Increasing from 1.5m x 1.05m to 2.31m x 1.2m.

We have light grey/beige floor tiles and plenty of light as it’s a kitchen/lounge extension (SW) with large velux windows and full width bifold doors.

We currently have a medium grey stone counter/island top (Boreas) with gloss stone doors (too yellow for us, esp when evening and warm white lights are on) and doesn't gel with the grey top.

Island uses the grey oak as end panels and we have drawer fronts in the grey oak as a two-tone.

We could go white counter but going dark grey might clash with medium grey oak colours of the island end panels and inside the cabinets. We would also need to replace the trim around the full height section, but we will do this if necessary.

We could have a slightly darker, Matt stone colour for the kitchen doors and use either existing grey stone or put a slightly darker grey in. However, I feel this could mean the whole space looks to similar in colour, as it's quite close to the floor colour.

The wall units on the window wall weren't part of the initial plan but we decided we needed the storage space there. How can we best make them work colour-wise?

Any thoughts welcome!

Comments (14)

• Kittihawke
    5 years ago
    I wonder if you removed the grey countertop and replaced it with a deep brown ( in wood or composite) would you notice the floor and doors clash as much? To me the grey clash is worse. The grey oak seems to be more on the brown spectrum to me so I would certainly look at upping the Browns in the room and the neutral floor and doors may just fall into place. Best of luck with it.
    and_99 thanked Kittihawke
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

I think a few things in the kitchen area aren't working. The floor and the gloss doors are of a warm grey / beige tone, therefore, in my opinion they don't work well with the counter top as it's a cool grey. If you want to go more grey with everything I wouldn't choose a matt door as I think you'll darken the area, go instead for a paler gloss grey. Again, it's going to be difficult because the floor lends itself to a pale warm grey not a cool grey. However, in the evenings when you have lights on, make sure you have cool white bulbs not warm white.

If it were me, i'd actually keep all of the gloss part of the kitchen exactly how it is as it matches your flooring brilliantly. I would change the Island and have an off white ( not cool white ), more creamy white possibly even a marble if you want to tone a grey in, but a cream and grey marble.

Then change the Island units to the darker grey.

and_99 thanked User
  • Carolina
    5 years ago

So, just to recap: you don't like the colour of the doors, too warm? And you're extending the island, so need a new worktop for that?

I'd change the doors to matt white and would chose the same grey worktop that you have now for the island.

and_99 thanked Carolina
  • PRO
    Contemporary Kitchens Brighton
    5 years ago

It looks like the Island is the main problem it looks out of proportion and doesn't give the wow factor in colour or style,i agree with man about the house change island to white top slab sides and bigger to accommodate the gas hob and light grey matt doors also lighting is most important

and_99 thanked Contemporary Kitchens Brighton
  • and_99
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for all the comments so far!

We’re not sure about about going brown counter, but I understand what you mean.

We looked at pale grey gloss and it just isn’t a very nice kitchen door colour, but yes I know what you’re saying. The current gloss, for me, is just a bit too yellow for the floor. It’s difficult to truly see in photos.

Yes, doors too warm and as other have said doesn’t do with cool grey counter

We have a Matt off white (porcelain) sample. See photos below that have a few white, one darker grey and one brownier grey stone. Also pavillion (discontinued in matt, a greedy grey), a matt paler stone, and off white kitchen Door samples.

Yes, island is being increased in size and the 3 chairs you see now will be under an overhang.

The problem I see is the kitchen doors not being a dark colour means the whole space looks very similar. I did wonder about a dark taupe door then white counter, but current supplier doesn’t do them. Also needs to work with the grey oak!

• and_99
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Actually, Caroline, that's pretty much our layout in the pic you posted. That's a matt light grey cabinet door for the full height cupboards, walls whiter than we have right now (but we can change). Not sure light grey would go with our oak colour though...

• Carolina
    5 years ago

That's why I sad that I'd go for matt white doors. Although I think that a light grey could work with the oak.

• Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago

The third picture down with the stoney coloured door, I love that and think it works colour wise and tonally. I would go for cooler pale worktops and cooler pale walls. Also an accent colour such as burnt orange - looks good with stone.

and_99 thanked Juliet Docherty
  • PRO
    Marina Drobot at Cinnamon Space
    5 years ago

I’d say add more wood to the scheme. Make top cabinets on the right and top cabinets above the ovens wood.

and_99 thanked Marina Drobot at Cinnamon Space
  • and_99
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@colourhappy - which picture do you mean? 3rd one down in my original post?

I'm leaning towards a darker colour for the cupboards with a white counter for maximum wow factor. I think as the floor is a light colour, if the cabinets are a similar light colour, there's no contrast. Although, I'm not sure what colour would be best. A dark grey doesn't look right, but I wouldn't want a choc brown either. Can anyone suggest the best colour and potential suppliers for retrofitting to existing carcasses?

I was also thinking of replacing the higher 3 cupboards with same-colour-as-wall open shelves (full width, perhaps one full one across top of window?) as I think they look wrong with not being symmetrical.

We have a chimney width recess (opposite wall to sink run, between island and sofa, and was thinking of fitting 2 low level cupboards there (to recoup lost space from removing others) with similar open shelves for the rest of the height?

Also, do you think the lack of door to the space is a bad thing? Trouble is we have a toilet under the stairs and so there's no best way to open it without being awkward, hence why we didn't bother.

• PRO
    Marina Drobot at Cinnamon Space
    5 years ago

i think navy blue with white marble or quartz worktop would tick the maximum wow factor. Devol Kitchens look stunning: https://www.devolkitchens.co.uk/kitchens/shaker-kitchens/bloomsbury-wc1-kitchen

• PRO
    Contemporary Kitchens Brighton
    5 years ago

Yes blue and white is growing very popular our new display is causing a stir at the moment we make all the cabinets in our workshop making us very competitive, plus we fabricate Corian worksurface

• and_99
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the comments to date!

We're thinking of going white counters (prob with speck) and darker matt grey perhaps RAL 7015 Slate Grey or RAL 7016 Anthracite) for the island and lower sink run cabinet doors.

Then either all wood doors for the oven wall (although we can't get handleless so might not be ideal) or the off-white matt and keep the wood surround and drawer fronts..

An idea to make the island counter less bright is to do as in the image below. We could use the same Grey Oak wood as elsewhere by double boarding and edging it. Similarly, I think we could get the Quartz people to create a deeper counter (as in pic) so we have a different level between the two mediums. Does anyone think this could work?

Also, the upper units on the sink run wall are still undecided. As is, they stand out as are deeper than the steel column (to right) and aren't symmetrical (one to left, two to right). Does anyone have any ideas on how to design this section, especially the gap where the steel is? Right now we are thinking of just replacing with open shelves but if there's a more stylish way of redesigning this section, I'd appreciate any ideas!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.