pdgoodchild6262a

Extension Above Kitchen Extension Planning Permission Right To Light?

Peter Goodchild
24 February, 2019
last modified: 24 February, 2019

I'm looking into having a first floor extension above the existing kitchen extension, with a pitched or flat roof on it. The sun rises behind the position where I'm standing taking the photo. I'd like to know am I going to have any problems getting planning permission for this extension, right to light possible issue with next doors first floor back bedroom. The other neighbor had a large extension put on their property some years ago. Their stair landing window, white arrow would outlook onto the proposed extension wall.

Oh,the ground floor footings were put in strong enough to support an upper story.

Thanks you.

Comments (3)

• Jonathan
    I think the fact that your neighbours have a similar extension means a precedent has been set so planning is unlikely to be a problem
    Peter Goodchild thanked Jonathan
  • obobble
    If your ground floor extension was three metres or smaller from the original rear wall you should be able to add a first floor under permitted development.
    Peter Goodchild thanked obobble
  • PRO
    Martyn J Pearson & Associates
    In planning terms there is a 45 dec rule i.e draw a 45 dec horizontal line from the centre of the nearest first floor window of your neighbors house towards your house and your first floor extension should not pass this line
    Peter Goodchild thanked Martyn J Pearson & Associates

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us on 0808 164 9310 (8am - 5pm GMT excluding weekends)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience using cookies

By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. Learn more.