minipie

Carpet or wood floor in the bedroom?

minipie
5 years ago

As per the title - I really can’t decide what flooring for our master bedroom and guest bedroom (we are refurbing at the moment). Every time it’s sunny I think wood and every time it’s not I think carpet...

Kids’ bedrooms will definitely be carpeted as they are above our bedroom and stomp like baby elephants :)

The guest room will double as a playroom but messy stuff will be kept in the kitchen so it could have either.

Thoughts please? What do you have and what are the pros and cons? Thanks!

Oh - we will be getting cats at some point, if that’s relevant...

Comments (27)

• Rose Williams
    5 years ago

Cats are relevant, my short haired cats shed a lot of hair and in the bedroom, it and dust migrates under the bed at an alarming rate, even with carpet. If they are to be "outdoor" cats, fleas hide and breed better in carpet in my opinion. Regardless, introducing pets is going to increase the cleaning requirement. That said, I always carpet bedrooms because that is where I get dressed and like to feel warm and comfortable, and not slip with wet feet.

I lived in a rental for 3 years with all laminate floors in the bedrooms. Slipping after coming out of the en-suite was a regular event, the clash of wood shades with the (large) wardrobes drove me mad, and the dust build up, on everything, even vertical surfaces, was insanely quick. The bonus side was that it was easier to clean, and 100% know it was clean though.

minipie thanked Rose Williams
  • minnie101
    5 years ago

I'm in the same boat as you. I had someone round to quote to restore the floor in our bedroom this week (although my husband wants to add a rug too).I'm currently thinking carpet for the other rooms as a lot of people like the warmth of it although tbh restoration would work out cheaper plus I much prefer the look! We installed wood upstairs in our last (new build) house and I found it much easier to keep clean than carpets and didn't find it cold underfoot.

Could you consider LVT for the kids room? I think it's quite a good sound insulator and obviously easy to keep clean. Re cats I think wool is meant to be the most resistant to scratching but obviously not stain proof and avoid a loop. You could look at PP or nylon which I admit we really liked in the shop but then looked at photos online and we couldn't deal with all the footprint marks! On the flip side wood can be slippery for pets whereas LVT often has the grooves in. It's not an easy choice!

minipie thanked minnie101
  • Related Discussions

• minnie101
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I forgot to say the PP can be cleaned with bleach. I'm yet to do it but was going to do a test on a sample piece to see how it fared as I'd read somewhere the lovely softness goes and it becomes quite bristly

• User
    5 years ago

It's all about personal taste, Minipie!

Trendwise, vast majority of the UK population tend to go carpet upstairs, excluding en-suites and bathrooms and resilient flooring (that's wood, laminate, luxury vinyl tiles) downstairs.

No right… no wrong… all about personal tastes.

See our carpet collections by clicking here.

See our laminate flooring collection by clicking here

See our wood flooring collection by clicking here

See our luxury vinyl tile collection by clicking here

minipie thanked User
  • minipie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, I hadn’t thought about slipping. Or fleas :-o

We have nothing worth restoring so it’s new flooring either way

minnie what is PP?

We also have a small moth problem, hopefully gone with the refurb but they are in so many houses locally I expect they may come back. Guess that points towards wood or at least man made carpet

• minnie101
    5 years ago

Sorry it's polypropylene, I was trying to avoid misspelling it! I'm potentially looking at a wool carpet from Cormar carpets, which has been treated for moths and I think westex are too if you wanted to go for wool. It's a shame about the floors, I was very pleasantly surprised to hear my floor was in very good condition as nothing else has been!

• minipie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sorry missed your reply Flooring megastore. That’s interesting that carpet is still in the vast majority.

• minipie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ooh good tip about pre moth treated wool thanks minnie.

• PRO
    House Transformed
    5 years ago

Hello,

Why don't you go for wood and invest in a great rug? in this case, you could benefit from both!

We offer shopping list services, great for clients when they have this kind of dilemmas!

Service online as well, very easy and getting great discounts!

www.housetransformed.com

minipie thanked House Transformed
  • Sonia
    5 years ago

I’ve had wooden floorboards in the bedrooms and I’ve had carpet. Personally I much prefer carpet in a bedroom. The floorboards were so cold, and always looked a bit scruffy. We then decided to lay carpet and it was wonderful! So warm and cosy. Our carpet is 100% wool.

minipie thanked Sonia
  • A B
    5 years ago
    I was considering this exact dilemma also last night! I think I’m edging more towards carpet although I’ve surprised myself with this!
    minipie thanked A B
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

We're carpet upstairs and LVT downstairs, just prefer the feel of carpet on bare feet. We do live in a very old cottage and it can be a bit nippy upstairs once the fire goes out downstairs. Wouldn't like to tread on a cold floor!

minipie thanked User
  • Diego
    5 years ago
    go carpet it's the British way!
    minipie thanked Diego
  • Daisy England
    5 years ago

Carpet for me. I can’t imagine getting up in the morning and putting my feet on a cool/cold wooden floor. It has to be carpet. I have a wooden floor in the hall and dining room and wouldn’t want carpet on either of those. Strange but true ... for me.

minipie thanked Daisy England
  • minipie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone! More carpet votes it seems ... if I can find one that will be ok with cats and possibly moths... wood might be more practical but I do think carpet will feel more comfortable. And as ever the rain today is influencing me towards carpet!

• minipie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

oh yikes! Yes I can unfortunately see all that happening Jen!

Trouble is I am set on carpet for the stairs and top floor as it is best for noise ... so will have all those risks anyway ... Maybe a darkish carpet? or a vomit coloured one ;) ?

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Good point there from "J Hen". So much depends on whom you share your home space with.

• Kids?
    • Pets?
    • How many adults and ages.
    • How long do you envisage staying in the property?

are all important questions to help guide you towards suitable flooring.

Quick guideline

Carpet made from polypropylene (pp) is generally cheaper than wool carpet. PP is tough as old boots but has poor appearance retention. It'll flatten quicker than any other fibre. Bleach cleanable but that's not much help once the pile flattens. Oil based product so a bit damaging to our environment…

Wool has fantastic appearance retention and naturally repels soiling better than pp. However, serious spills like wine, make up, vomiting etc could prove difficult to remove. Wears very, very well, though and, as we all know, wool feels warm and cosy which, in general, is what us UK folks want from our bedrooms! Wool is biodegradable and is renewable, so much kinder to the environment.

Want to read some in depth explanation behind the pros and cons to wool and pp carpet? Click here.

There are many moth proof wool carpets and we have a great deal available on our site. Click here and peruse away!

Takeway tips

Got a load of youngsters in your house? Go for polypropylene carpet. It's functional but won't win any awards for stylish designs and colours.

Like something more distinctive that will create flooring envy amongst your peers and you don't have destructive creatures roaming your home? Go for wool.

Expect to be moving home in the next 5 years? Go polypropylene.

Think you're going to be around for a while? Go wool.

Got moths? Don't kill them, love them and make sure you have a moth proof carpet.

We're cute, we're cuddly… we're the Flooring Gurus!

THE END!!

minipie thanked User
  • minipie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you very helpful! Any advice on 100 per cent wool vs 80/20 vs 50/50? Which wears and cleans better? Do moths still eat the mixed ones...?

• User
    5 years ago

Generalisation now…

100% wool

Tends to be used most with structured loops, sometimes referred to as "naturals". It's very rare you will find 100% wool used when making twist pile carpets.

Example of a typical 100% wool loop - click here.

80/20 (80% wool; 20% a.n. other)

This blend tends to be most common in the functional twist carpet. One thing to consider is what is the 20%? To keep the price down, manufacturers will use polypropylene which we explained about the pros and cons of polypropylene in our previous comments. If you can afford it, we would recommend looking for either 20% polyamide (aka nylon), 20% polyester or a mix of polyamide and polyester to go with the 80% wool… you dig? These blends, with 80% wool, will out perform an 80% wool, 20% polypropylene -> FACT.

Here's an example of an 80% wool, 20% polypropylene twist pile carpet - click here.

Here's an example of an 80% wool, 10% polyamide, 10% polyester twist pile carpet - click here.

You'll note a difference in their prices for comparable products. We'll get on to clarifying another reason for this price difference in a minute.

50% wool, 50% a.n. other

This blend is all about making wool more affordable. Very rarely used in twist pile carpet these days, so it's more likely you will find this blend of mix in the structured wool loop market.

Examples of a typical 50% wool loop carpet - click here, and click here.

It's not really about what's the best wool blend, it's more about the look you most prefer as this dictates the wool blend in the carpet.

Most important, actually, is the quality of the yarn used. New Zealand is recognised as the best. Wears incredibly well and allows strikingly clean colours eliminating berber (flecky) hues. New Zealand wool is the most expensive of wool yarns for these reasons.

Here's an example of an 80% New Zealand wool twist carpet - click here and here's an example of a 100% New Zealand wool loop pile carpet - click here. Difficult to show you over the internet but if you were to see these side by side against comparable products NOT using New Zealand wool you would be able to see how much "crisper" the colours are in the products that use New Zealand.

As for the moths' munching habits, it's likely they will prefer a higher wool content product but it has been known for the blighters to munch through 50% blends too. If you are in a region where moths are reported to eating wool then avoid any doubt and opt for a carpet that carries a manufacturers moth proof warranty. There are many about.

You can simply type "moth proof" in our search bar on our Flooring Megastore site and watch the results pop up.

BOOM! There you go, minipie

minipie thanked User
  • minipie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That is so so helpful. Thank you! We can’t have loop due to cats so guess that puts us with 80/20 and I will look out for NZ and a bit of nylon/polyamide in the mix. Brilliant info.

• PRO
    FAIRFAX FLOORING
    5 years ago

We would go for wooden floor for cleanness, and then rug(s) for warmth. With the time being and/or if accidents happen, you always can change a rug. Not even if it becomes old or dirty but even because you are fed up with that or decided to change your colours or look.

minipie thanked FAIRFAX FLOORING
  • PRO
    Woodpecker Flooring
    5 years ago

Hi Minipie, we'd suggest that wood would be a much more practical option than carpet - especially as you have pets. It's timelessly stylish, hardwearing, long-lasting, easy to clean and much more hygenic than carpet as it doesn't harbour dirt or bacteria in the fibres. We'd also recommend a brushed and matt lacquered finish to minimise any appearance of scratches or wear over time from the little paws. Wood is naturally warm underfoot too for a welcoming feel in the bedroom. Here's a little inspiration...

Harlech Raw Oak · More Info

Berkeley Cottage Oak · More Info

Goodrich Coffee Oak · More Info

Salcombe Natural Oak · More Info

We offer free samples at our website if you'd like to take a closer look at any of the designs. I hope that helps!

Best wishes,

Hannah | Woodpecker Flooring

minipie thanked Woodpecker Flooring
  • User
    5 years ago

Woodpecker Flooring make lovely products but they only sell wood and laminate flooring, so it's no surprise to see them suggesting you opt for wood flooring, minipie. You're better off taking note from impartial experts.

minipie thanked User
  • PRO
    Woodflooring Engineered Ltd
    5 years ago

From the opinion of someone who works for an engineered wood flooring manufacturer but a mum of 3 boys and a dog, these are my thoughts.

When I moved into my house 4 years ago I had engineered oiled oak flooring installed throughout downstairs and matching Oak stair treads made. Upstairs I had an oatmeal carpet installed which looked beautiful soft and cosy.. My oak floor has really stood up well and really has suffered some abuse...muddy football boots. The dog having a mental 5 minutes, flooded sink and washing machine leak...

My carpet hasn't fared well despite being heavy domestic and 'bleachable'. The norovirus really tested it to its limits and is a nightmare to clean - never really felt totally hygienic afterwards despite periodically using my best friends vax. It is also a magnet for dog hair...

I wish now that I'd had wooden flooring stained white or natural for my upstairs with an acoustic underlay underneath, as noise was my reason for not doing so initially. I am in the process of putting a sea grass runner down my stairs, as although they look beautiful can be noisy with thuds of boys footsteps. I also wish that I'd opted for a natural finish for my oak flooring from the outset to give a more spacious airy / organic feel. Oiled oak is classical but I prefer a more natural look and so sanding and refinishing them myself this Easter which I'm not relishing but will be worth it!

Whatever floor coverings you choose there will be pros and cons, and what suits one family's needs will differ to another's .

Hope this helps

Charlotte

Wood Flooring Engineered Ltd

minipie thanked Woodflooring Engineered Ltd
  • minipie
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the further comments all! I can see carpet is going to be vulnerable... we are committed to carpet for stairs and kids’ rooms though so it’s really just the master and spare bedroom that’s under debate.

If we have wood it’s going to work out a lot more costly as the flooring costs more, then the laying costs more, then we’d want big rugs on top (covering most of the lovely new floor!) so that‘s extra cost again. Plus I think we might have to put new mdf/ply down to make a more solid subfloor whereas with carpet we can use our old patchwork of boards as the subfloor. all in all I think it will be carpet for cost reasons... Hopefully the cost of occasional cleaning after an accident won’t outweigh the saving!

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

I always think that everything downstairs the same and everything upstairs the same ( albeit different ) works best. ie hard floors downstairs and carpet upstairs, perfect.

minipie thanked User
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.