brennie69

Either paint or leave iron fire grate bare????

Brendan C
14 March, 2019

I have always painted my fire grate in the living room black even when I had a white surround. I now have a Farrow and Ball Blue Black chimney breast as a feature (rest of room a light blue colour) and a black black surround in heatproof paint. I am sanding the iron grate and liking the look of it bare (not 100% sure as at the beginning of this litte project). Obviously I can paint it jet black again but can I leave it bare (natural) if it looks right by putting a clear coating on it? Any other ideas welcome regarding the whole thing.

Studio Felix

First of all - what a gorgeous fireplace! Very jealous you have that to work with. I would paint it black - I like the natural iron, but it looks a bit dirty. Painting it will look cleaner.

Brendan C thanked Studio Felix
  • Sven

It looked good painted all black But can see why you removed the paint. The metal work could look good chromed: most metal workers would do this.

Brendan C thanked Sven
  • rinq

Brass would be nice :) But all black makes you look for a second time, it's pretty.

Brendan C thanked rinq
    You can get stove paint in any colour- I once painted a fire insert white and loved it although I will concede that white needed touching up frequently
    Brendan C thanked Jonathan
  • Brendan C

Thanks for all the advice. I have painted it black numerous times (after the last fire of winter I refresh it all). This is why I am looking for something different and liking the ideas so far. Chrome might be too bright as I have painted the mirror above in a dull metallic gold and aged it. Brass could be an option as well as stove paint. Cheers

• Beano
    I’d sand, wire wool it as far back as possible and seal it with a clear lacquer! Think that would work well, I take it it won’t be used? Would need a high temp one if lighting it and that might not last long, a bit of autosol and wire wool will transform it.
  • Brendan C

Thanks Beano. It won't be used until Winter and don't mind once I do use it if the lacquer doesn't last long assuming I won't die from the fumes lol....I have given the surround a distressed gold effect so still working on it :-)

• Brendan C

Up to date photo - making decision even more difficult lol

Delphine Collard Interiors

Hi Brendan, painting it in a matt charcoal colour is another option. Enjoy your project!

Brendan C thanked Delphine Collard Interiors
  • Beano
    Leave as is, I love it! Looks like a cool properly used fireplace! Things can get to staged if you know what I mean, it’s can all get a bit to perfect
    Brendan C thanked Beano
  • Sven

It looks good as it is now. I want a similar fireplace with aged metal work with black surround (maybe white).

Brendan C thanked Sven
  • Beano
    Prob just darken the bit below the grate for looks though :-)
    Brendan C thanked Beano
  • jenniecollins
    I really like the gold mantel and mirror. It stands out so beautifully against the dark background. Have you considered painting the area underneath it, the part of the chimney breast upon which the mantel sits (in Canada I think we would call that the fireplace surround) the same gold colour? Or painting both it and the mantel in another coordinating colour, perhaps a darker, antiqued gold than the mirror), and leaving the grate, and what I think you are referring to as the "surround", i.e., the curved metal trim piece, black? That way the entire beautiful fireplace would be highlighted in the same way as your mirror currently is.
    Brendan C thanked jenniecollins
  • Brendan C

I agree Beano, don't want it looking too perfect. Painting the base is a good idea and possibly the back of the fire but again that might look too perfect.

Thank you JennieCollins for the advice - I am not quite that brave to have that much gold although it would look fab I imagine/

Walk Interior Architecture & Design

use a black wax paste on the metal - gives it a bit of a metallic sheen, colours any rust etc, protects it further and looks great. better than flat black paint and enhances the metal. as shown here

Brendan C thanked Walk Interior Architecture & Design
  • Brendan C

Ok, thought I would show the finished article with some extras. Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions but I decided to leave it more natural/weathered with additions....

• E D
    Looks good.

I like the fact you kept the insert ‘natural’.

Not a 100% convinced about the white vase in it. I don’t think it needs it.
  • Beano
    I Iike it :-) glad to see you didn’t go mad and paint it all in.
    Brendan C thanked Beano
  • Brendan C

Thanks E D and Beano - yep I think I agree now.....less is more lol