monidda

Kitchen Reno after years of planning

Monica
21 March, 2019
last modified: 21 March, 2019

Hello there, for one reason or another this renovation has been four years in the planning, we must be onto plan *z* which is quite ridiculous but this is it and excited to finally start.

I worked with the wonderful Karen at One Plan on the layout, and I cannot sing her praises high enough. If you are looking to start a renovation please, save yourself hours of agonising over potential layouts, as well as making costly mistakes, and contact her to do it for you. You will not regret it.

The first photo is the preferred layout with the floating island/peninsula in front of big sliding doors or bi-folds ( little unconventional I know but confident it will work well for us).

The second photo is a previous layout we were considering, and we are taking the clever fridge freezer and mini laundry room idea from it, cleverly tucking them under the stairs in the hallway.

The third photo is of the final cabinetry configuration on that back wall and what I need help with. We plan to have two tall units 600mm wide sat on the worktop either side of the range. To increase storage we would want these to be deeper a min of 400mm to be able to fit our microwave, toaster etc. But of course I would also like more useable worktop area. Fitted onto the 600 depth it will leave us with 200mm which very little and not much help. My thought was to pull everything 200mm from the wall which will leave us with a much better 400mm worth of worktop in front of these units. Question is what would I do behind the range with that 20cm extra worktop? Create one of those handy shelves for odds and ends? Also how would we go about the worktop? Would we have to use the standard 600 wide and join it at the back under the units? Hope this makes sense. I have 1000 other questions so I will keep this thread going if so you can to offer help and guidance as we progress :)

Thank you

• Monica

So I think I’m going with chevice over the slacked lime deep. I feel it’s a cleaner less sludgy grey and picks the veins well.

• minnie101

Lol!

what a shame re the panel :( Are the doors in now? I think my house would have been flooded with the rain we've had today, hope yours is ok.

so is ceviche in the middle? Are you now having one colour all over? Or the penisland in serpentine?

Our UK kitchen remodel before and after

Love the photos !! Way to go ShelleyUK !! Can't wait to see the finished project !!! :-)

Win a Hamper! Vote for the Best Before/After Project of the Year!

All of the projects are very impressive, the transformations are all pretty amazing and should definitely provide inspiration to anyone looking to do similar projects. I was personally torn between the country kitchen and the sloping garden, in the end my vote went to the sloping garden project, the transformation from a blank awkward looking area to such a cleverly designed and attractive space is amazing.

Kitchen Plan Sense Check

Thanks guys. The main prep area is the island. I’m currently rejigging it to have a larger bin on the island. Re the island depth, the granite is 2500x1350 and there’s 600mm oak wrap over the end. We could make the base cupboards the people end shallower. I can’t swing the island the other way due to the doors through to the bifold doors and a pesky pillar. The baking cupboard could have a slide out shelf for the mixer, but the pull up mechanism would give me the island space to weigh out ingredients etc. The other option I’ve been playing around with is the hob on the back wall with a 500mm base unit each side, then the fridge & freezer one side and both ovens in one tall unit & a breakfast cupboard next to that. Then I’ve added a 500mm tall unit either side of the dresser, one for baking & one for snacks and shrank the middle section by putting in a 300 wine fridge instead of the 600. This leaves the island as purely prep space with a 600mm unit of bins and a prep sink. I’m not sure whether this would be less social than the hob on the island though?

Light Engineering flooring in open plan kitchen

It will scratch and mark to some extent so it really depends how you feel about that. Yes you can sand but you’ll have to live with any marks in the meantime and there’s a limit on how many resandings you can do anyway. Lacquered is tougher than oiled and requires less maintenance but is shinier. If you buy a more rustic looking floor then marks will be less of an issue. The one you’ve pictured, marks will be quite obvious. It also depends on how you live as to how likely you are to get scratches. For example, we move our sofa often to retrieve lost toys, we move our dining table when we have guests, the kids drag chairs around to try to reach things (yes we have felt on the feet of furniture but it does fall off) and we will be getting a cat. So if we had wood, it would scratch up quite quickly and might get marks from spills. If you live more carefully then maybe it wouldn’t!
  • Monica

Yes they are all in but we can’t bloody lock them. Somehow they managed to loose the bunch of keys for one of the sliders, between the workshop and here. But they are in and they are lush. So glad we went for them, but my god we won’t be able to put a foot wrong in that garden as everything is on show. I can’t wait to start on that soon, I m already working out my vistas.
    Yes chevice is the middle one and possibly the penisland in the serpentine. I’m not sure if I should all one colour or a bit of contrast.

• minnie101

Oh no, what a nightmare. We had a trades person lose our keys in a van too, no surprise really as the vans can be quite messy! They look fab though :) I haven't seen the outside of your studio before, I didn't realise it was brick, very nice!

so I like the serpentine however just going back to what you said originally you didn't want much contrast and didn't want the island to be the focal point and having that in a darker colour is going to make it stand out more? It's a very nice colour though!

• Monica

I didn't want two tone when I was having the striking black tile. That was going to be the feature but now I am going pale ( remember how I didn't want a pale kitchen? famous last words) on that back wall I am thinking a mid tone would be nice to have. I deffo do not want to go dark but a mid tone should add a subtle contrast.

Also I am thinking of transforming my biggest bargain to date, in the same colours. I scored this solid wood breakfront bookcase for an unbelievable £59 on Ebay with £40 delivery (arrives on Friday) . It will go opposite the chairs and house the TV in one of those middle sections with plenty space left for books and faffy bits.

Fits that wall perfectly, I couldn't believe my eyes when I found it.

We have also decided not to have the overhang on the penisland. I dragged our dining table in the spot and reaching across it from the sink end made me realise I won't be able to reach the end and clean it, which means I would have to go out and round it every time I need to wipe it like 100times a day, so no way Im doing that. Also the stools would have blocked the view into the garden from the hallway as you enter the kitchen so decision made. We have the table in the same room and if we feel like a meal on our knees in front of the tv we can do that as well. It's going to measure 1.80m x 90cm. It will be plenty big enough in fact quite dominating with that big slab of quartz.

Yes, my lovely studio (currently our kitchen) is all brick and I cannot wait to landscape the garden now I finally know what space we have left.

• minnie101

Lol! Well I like the colour and the mid tone would be good.

Wow that was a bargain, a great way to hide the tv and you'll be able to add some of your lovely accessories too. How lucky it was such a good fit!

thats a big decision re the penisland (makes me laugh that the word is recognised when I type it!) but if it works for you and you've "tried" it then go for it. Now to sell those stools then!

I had log into houzz via the main page and it showed that you'd saved down a garden idea ! Does that come before the ensuite then?

• Monica

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Luckily I didn’t get the stools as they were too high so we never collected them.
    Pete said to think about the penisland ( makes me laugh every time as well LOL) as we don’t have to make the decision until they come to template.

Yes I saved one yesterday :) I am keen to get a garden plan together and start getting the structure of planting done this Summer with the view of hardscaping next year. I do not want any grass in this area just heavy planting with a central sitting area maybe. I also want as much planting around these big windows to soften the look, as I’m still not enamoured with the look of all that expanse of glass. ( why oh why is Crittall out of the range of mere mortals ??
    I want a big slender tree in there as well so it’s all I want I want but the reality is somewhat different. Beans on toast till Christmas now

• minnie101

will try posting again without losing wifi!

That's lucky re the stools :)

Lol! Pete's idea is probably a good one. I assume you will accessorise penisland so it could be that you need that extra bit of worktop? I know you've tried with the table but you can properly assess once it's in. Maybe reconsider rattan stools or something that don't fill the space if you do go that route. Cleaning will be a pain not being able to reach it all but it's only the same as walking to another worktop or table in the room etc from the sink? (Or not?!) You will know once it's in though so can decide then!

i had a look in your ideabook earlier, there are some nice pics. Plants can be super expensive so there may be a lot of beans on toast! It will probably just take you a while to get used to the expanse of glass but the doors are fab and planting will look stunning. It will be interesting to see how the light changes once we get some sun too! I know, I love crittall, one day!

colourhappy

May have made a typo there minnie101 - I've heard of Flamingo Land and Lego Land but not Penisland :)

• minnie101

Hi Colourhappy. Thank god :)

We're just being silly, we couldn't think decide whether to call Monica's island a peninsula or island so Monica called it a pen-island. I obviously read it as penis-land and was crying laughing (as you do when looking at Houzz on your own) but Monica had deliberately called it that to make me laugh. I think I've probably lost the humour in translation!

• Victoria

Hahaha, Colourhappy, penisland is peninsula/island ;-)

• Monica

Giggles, it’s all good fun. Slight hiccup here, we discovered today that the whole ceiling needs removing and starting again. We had a massive leak soon after we moved in and that plasterboard is shot. The guy that was skimming has no time to do big job so I spent my morning trying to find a plasterer. I think I ve done it now.
    Massive victory the electicians were able to move the new consumer unit into the garage. It’s Friday I can't wait for the bar to open

• minnie101

Omg, what a nightmare with the ceiling. So when will that be done? Hope it hasn't added a lot to the budget :( window and doors look fab! What time did the bar open?!

Monica thanked minnie101
  • Monica

Hello everyone, how were your weekends?
    The weather here was pants right up till we were cleaning out tonight then the sun finally made an appearance.
    Huge amount achieved in one week! All electrical work done ( I was so pleased that we managed to move the consumer unit into the garage away from my kitchen cupboards. They also ran armerdered Cat5 cable from the house across the garden into my studio, so I can have good strength internet there now and not relying on repeaters.
    Wired fir outside lights as well which will be nice.
    All plumbing work done, and in place, radiator on the newly plastered by the window guys wall, I even painted behind with my Chevice tester pot LOL
    And the carpenter made the cupboard, washing machine all in, housing for the fridge created, question for you all, how would I finish those two spaces? The fridge niche and the door opening? Just smooth plaster work?
    Now a week of wait for the plasterer, the closest availability was Saturday so it is what it is. Flooring comes Wednesday, God knows where we will put it all.

• minnie101

Hi MOnica. That's a shame, it was hit and miss here but thankfully hit whilst we were out. We unintentionally ended up at a sausage dog fun day at a pub/restaurant on Saturday which was interesting (and noisy!).

wow, loads done in a week! The internet will help too and it will be great to have garden lighting.

Am I right in saying you don't have a door to the kitchen? In which case I would just plaster. I don't know if you have already allowed it but will there be a small circulation space for the fridge at the sides and top?

• Monica

Yes Minnie, no door ( even though I am sure that’s frowned upon as I would need a fire door there) and circulation room left around the fridge plus I asked the joiner not to create a back so there s plenty room for it to breath. We can plaster it then I will make a decision then xx

• minnie101

It is ( hope Karen isn't reading!). That's good, hopefully you can get it out easily for maintenance then too if needed. Just thinking the architrave may look a bit weird without a door. I'm also not sure how wide the architrave is in the house if you were just to put it around the "door". It may look odd as the right side of the fridge would look as if had architrave but not the rest? As you say though, see how it looks plastered but I think it will work well :)

• Monica

I am sure she is but she has been here with me before, so hopefully she will just roll her eyes at me :) ( Please know that I am taking it seriously and will fit one in if/when we move out)

Yes, wanted the back open so that we can easily replace the water filter etc.

We will have to retrofit things inside there once everything is in situ, I know for sure I need to have a bracket fitted behind it to hold my brooms and long handle cleaning implements, and my hoover etc.

I have caulked and sanded the cupboard I am going to put a coat of primer on it tonight then another tomorrow morning, then hopefully 1st coat of paint can go on tomorrow night.

BTW my Provence brass tap sold on ebay last night for £455 ... delighted.

• Victoria

Great result, Monica

Monica thanked Victoria
  • Monica

Thank you darling :)

• Victoria

Thinking about your doorway, you just need to be aware that plaster is more delicate than wood and is likely to get damaged by shopping bags etc.

OnePlan

Eye rolling in progress !!!!

• Monica

hahahaaaaa, love you <3

• Monica

Hello my loves, nothing to report since last time other than the fact that I have filled and sanded, filled and sanded then painted and sanded about 1000 times over this week, but the cupboard is painted inside and out ( even though no one will see the inside). I found 4 solid brass knobs on fleabay for £3.50 ready aged, so the doors are now ready for them. I need to finish off the white part of the stairs, if you noticed I started painting it the same colour as the cupboard but it didn't look right, that trim is part of the stairs so I am sorting that one tonight, along with the ceiling and that black post that joiner cut a chunk off so that doors could open.

And Ant the superstar restorer just dropped off the latches. He worked his magic on them and he even made me a brass overflow that is the cutest thing ever. Still looking for a brass strainer/ basket thingy for the sink, but don't fancy paying £175 for it. For now I have some crappy alloy one until we find something else. And check out the screw head !!! he is a whizz bless him.

Right hope you are all ready and poised for the bar to open tonight, have a fabulous weekend. Plasterer comes tomorrow, smooth walls and ceiling are in my future LOL

• minnie101

Has happy hour started at Chez Monica then?!

That all looks fab, you must be really pleased and very bored with filling and sanding!

Monica thanked minnie101
  • Monica

Yes Minnie, I have just literally washed up our dinner plates and I'm sat down glass in hand ( a little Aperol Spritz)

How are you doing? Did you find any curtains yet? How the en suite going???

• minnie101

Ooh very sophisticated :) I wish I was drinking one in Italy (although maybe not right now!)

Curtains arrived Thursday, will put up one pair today (I need to try and source 4 more rings which isn't proving easy). En suite starts the 15th and fire fitted 16th :)

• Monica

Yay !!! Make sure you show us. Well the plasterer didn't turn up this morning, she gave us some lame excuse with doggy needing treatment blah blah, I'm over it :(

• minnie101

I will :)

Aah no, what a bugger, neither of us had any luck with plasterers! So has she agreed to come back on Monday? At least you can get out and enjoy the sun now though?

• Monica

Apparently coming this morning after I made sure I let her known how disappointing it all was. But will believe it when I see it. Fingers crossed...

• minnie101

morning! Did she turn up?

• Monica

SHE BLOOMIN DID!!! Was beyond amazed. They just left having prepped everything ready for tomorrows boarding of the ceiling. Praise the Lord, I thought she would be a flakey flake ...

• minnie101

That's good, progress then!

on a separate note, are you getting notifications on Houzz when people you follow have commented on things? I noticed it a couple of days when Karen had commented on posts that I hadn't commented on and thought it was a blip but now I've woken up to loads of the things!

• Monica

Well they were here at 8am so it's looking good. She also said she will work late today and tomorrow to finish off by tomorrow night.

I never get any notifications when people comment on other threads, I get notifications when people post on my thread but even then I do not get them in sequence. I totally missed Victoria's post about the edges being bashed about last week.

• minnie101

oh, well that's good then, Saturday was a blip :) Remind me, when do the units go in? I bet you're glad the weather has changed with your studio cooking!

Oh, how bizarre. I wasn't getting some a couple of weeks ago as I misssed yours but that seems to be fixed. There have been so many bugs on Houzz in the last year or so :(

• Monica

It's a bummer as our timeline it's out of sync now.

We expected the plastering work to be done early last last week ( before we knew the ceiling needed a full re board).I was going to paint it all, and the fitter should have fitted the floor by the weekend. We had to postpone the flooring arriving and now we are really not sure what's going to happen or how. But we are not stressing about it. Flooring arrives today and units arrive WEds/Thursday. I would love for Nick to pain the units if possible before we go away (4th of july) so the paint has time to cure undisturbed but his availability is dodgy as he is very busy :(

If worst comes to worst we can lay the floor then protect it to paint etc. it's only laminate so any spills will clean easily it's not as sensitive as real wood. Che sera now... they always say that last 10% of the work takes 90% of the time so we will be more patient.

And my studio cooking has been a breeze, seriously no change to our lifestyle, full kitchen sink, two Thermomixes and the BBQ, its been a dream. We had one take out in the two weeks since we started.

• minnie101

Oh that is a bummer. Nothing is ever straightforward, still at least you're not stressing over it. I'm sure it will all come together nicely in the end. Just thinking will the plaster need a few days to dry before painting anyway?

Your studio has been an absolute blessing then, it would have been a nightmare without it!

• Monica

Yeah we won't be able to paint for a least a week, but initially we were only do a skim job over the partition wall and ceiling as the other walls were fine but once we found out we needed a ceiling replacement we went for a full re plaster all over.

• Monica

OH MY >>> Just wanted to say that I am in love with smooth plaster *hearteyes* She is very good, I don't think I have ever had walls so good. I was very dubious of the fab reviews she had but I shouldn't have been. She is on track to finish tomorrow night.

• Monica

Plastering all done and that box of goodies means that all the kitchen got delivered. Nothing missing either. Off to buy the paint tomorrow, still set on Chevice and Serpentine.

I wondered what you all thought about maybe painting that back wall on the dining room end Benjamin Moore Storm after seeing how well Olympia looked against this colour in our spare bedroom. I am also thinking it will make the dining end more moodier for nice candle lit dinners. What's your thoughts? naff with just one wall in the darker colour?

• minnie101

That room looks big (!) and just love the colour of setting plaster (and jammie dodgers) :) good news on the kitchen!

i like the idea of a darker wall, do you have a tester to see all the colours in situ?

Monica thanked minnie101
  • Monica

It does feel very big in there empty like this but I will soon fill it LOL

I can paint a tester and have it next to the others tomorrow. I took the serpentine against the bedroom walls and they tone nicely but wasn't sure if it would look stark against the really pale chevice. But Olympia will look better on the darker wall.

• Beano

Well this has all moved on a bit, just finished game of thrones as I scrolled to the bottom of the thread! Lol

The space looks fantastic as does the panelling under the stairs!! That looks so good, can’t wait to see this as it develops, im assuming you and Minnie have this all sorted in your private little corner of the net!!

• Monica

It’s getting there now Beano, thank you :) What did you think of the GOT ?? Me and the pup just picked up the paint, hopefully I will manage to paint the ceiling at least before flooring starts to go down. It's nearly dry now so I m hoping by tomorrow morning will be safe to go.

• Beano

The GOT? Sorry you have lost me :-(

Ps that picture of the dog is framable! (Ps I’m a terrible speller) it’s so good it could be an advert for the paint company!

• Monica

Game of Thrones sorry Beano, lazy arse here today <3

• minnie101

Lol Beano, I'm sure a paint company has done that with a dog before!

• minnie101

Aah bless Olly with his little bacon rasher hanging out! Was he smiling or hot?

it will be great if you could get the ceiling done, it splashes everywhere with a roller!

Monica thanked minnie101
  • Monica

Hee hee I took the picture to help my lovely little shop out. They just moved premises and they need every little help to keep the business going. Not much seems to thrive in this little high street apart from charity shops so a little plot was worked out for a bit of free PR <3 My handsome Chickpea could sell ice to eskimos, besotted with that boy <3

• Monica

My thoughts exactly Minnie and if I can do it before my trip to the hairdressers ready for our jolly it would be even better. Yes he must have been warm as we went from freezing 13 degrees to 20 this morning, weird weather