mybespokeroom

Is the ceiling a wall to be decorated?

My Bespoke Room
5 years ago

Tell someone you want to paint the ceiling anything but white and they might well look at you like you've lost your mind! But there's been a growing trend over the last few years in Interior Design to get creative with this previously unchartered territory.

The ceiling is the only expanse in the room that is as large as the floor, but with the exception of lights, it's usually the most undressed.

Wallpaper, Murals and Tin Tiles have been some brave choices that we've seen and love, but if you're feeling adventurous but don't want to spend the earth, we recommend painting. Carrying colour up from the walls and woodwork and across the ceilings can make a room feel more grand and elegant, whilst a contrasting colour can make rooms feel larger and add surprise.

Failing that - anyone fancy a replica of the Sistine Chapel?

What do you think, is your Ceiling the neglected fifth wall and in need of some creative flair or would you prefer to stick with clean whites and focus on the rest of the room? Vote, comment and let us know!

Bold & Contemporary Design · More Info

Image credit: Steele Street Studios

Yes, the ceiling is a wall to be decorated!
No, don't let the ceiling take the spotlight in a room!

Comments (13)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.