webuser_71660

help with paint colours for open plan room

Tani H-S
5 years ago
Just waiting for the ceiling and chimney breast to be plastered now in the living area but I’m struggling to work out what to paint as the open plan space has so many different wall areas! LOL. Like I need another thing to think about (rolls eyes!)

So for those who haven’t followed my many dilemmas ... 2d image is mock up of the whole room so you can see the shape. With some variation now in that the lounge tv wall will be panelled and the dining table will be closer to the island - giving us some room for casual seating on the wall opposite the kitchen.

The chimney breast - we have kept the alcoves open with the right one will be filled with logs top to bottom and the left one ... no idea yet! The wall opposite the chimney is exposed brick.

Paint issues:-

1) wanted to paint the wood panelling in a darker colour (either grey or navy tones) so the large tv blends in. BUT - do we then paint the alcoves and chimney breast in the same colour so it defines that whole room or just the alcoves and have the chimney breast a different colour??

I wanted to originally paint the fancy fire surround (Louis style) in the same dark colour as the chimney breast but now I worry it’s all going to be too dark and not sure how to tone it all.

The kitchen is dark shaker wood units and I wanted to paint the kitchen back wall dark as well now to match the units (instead of brick cladding) and add maybe brass/metallic splashback with brass toned light fittings to add some industrial glamour (rather than going for traditional industrial style)
The kitchen colour is F&B off black - it’s a warm soft dark grey/black with deep midnight blue tones in some lights and has a mid grey quartz worktop. No idea on what colour LVT I’m even having yet (laughs hysterically) so I’m open to some suggestions.

- it’s very bright in here even with the bare plaster walls so I feel like it can take the dark but don’t want to overdo it. I like industrial glamour style with rich colours and some metallics to soften it all.

The dining end will have a large spider light over it.

Kitchen photos to follow ...

Comments (56)

• rachelmidlands
    5 years ago
    He he, definite no to gold fire surround, for some reason Joan Collins springs to mind:)) You said the kitchen is painted in off black? I’d do the paneling and any other dark walls the same then...easy! I also remember you saying you liked the chalky pink of the bare plaster, I do too, I think it adds a warmth and will look good against the off black so perhaps an off white with a a barely there peachy pink colour. Of course it depends on flooring as well. Again tough decision, get loads of samples if poss. My feeling is that a pale wood with pink undertones would look good although with the brass maybe a more orangey colour would be better (you see, I’m just as indecisive!) Putting a mood board together with real life samples will help enormously I think.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Isn’t it hard! It’s been too much doing a whole house to be honest. Got to buy all the lighting asap and told him just to stick white basic fittings on most places until I know how I’m decorating, ha ha.

Might get a sample of the off black done as the kitchen isn’t true F&B paint as they didn’t do it.
    Wasn’t sure if I should go with a tone down on the panelling though but I guess if I do the chimney breast a different colour it might not be so dark .... hummm
  • Related Discussions

1 4x 5 metre open plan kitchen/living room and 2 bedrooms.wall colours

Q

Comments (8)
    Oak is durable so a good choice if you want solid wood. Maybe go for plank sizes between 15-20 cm to keep it in keeping with the period of the property. If you're using the same flooring in the kitchen and bathroom it may be worth considering engineered wood or even a good quality laminate for letting (installation will also be cheaper).
    ...See More

Open plan or semi open plan? Floor plan / furniture layout help please

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi all, Thank you for your comments; I appreciate them! Natasha - the units you have suggested are very much what I had in mind. We will have a shaker kitchen and the media unit would also be shaker style and would have 4-6 cupboards with the TV in the middle with book shelves either side. Part of the reason we kept a partial wall was to make the space more usable. I can’t envision how the fully open plan room will be able to meet all our needs, but I am open to ideas! I feel that open plan would be more impressive, but potentially less usable. With regards to the doors. I do plan to reverse the doors both into the kitchen and family room part, but couldn’t work out how to do it on the app I used for the floor plan. It is a 1920s house and we have the original doors which we are planning to keep. We are also keeping a lot of floor space as when the table is not extended, we still have young children with lots of Lego and trains etc. I plan for these to be hidden in the cupboards at bedtime. J - we haven’t installed the kitchen but we have ordered it and paid a big deposit. Some of the units are bespoke/irregular sizes and I don’t think we would be willing to change this. I have attached a photo of our rendered kitchen plan. Thanks again for your comments. It is good to have other people’s opinions and ideas.
    ...See More

open plan room feature wall colour

Q

Comments (18)
    Okay. Not sure why you were set on blue? I can't see blue going well with your sofa? But I've tried F&B Hague Blue and that seems to go fairly well. Anyway, it's nearly impossible to give paint colour advice based on photos on screen, since colours will look different on every screen and are also influenced by the light in a room. But... here are visuals of Brinjal, Hague Blue and Salon Drab. Which whall(s) are you thinking of painting? All three? I'm not keen on the Brinjal, because I feel that it will cast a red glow over the room? I quite like the look of Salon Drab on my screen. Looks nice and calm and cosy. Might be totally different on your screen or in real life though.
    ...See More

Seeking clever paint ideas / colours for an open plan

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi, Have you seen that Dulux have launched a new heritage collection? There are some great colours. You can get a free dolour chart here https://www.designerpaint.com/brands/dulux-heritage?fbclid=IwAR24sc873RLmxHGIQmkzdZDYUqTf2Ew5cE8sPIxaFITK3GOcjpnRHb22XU0 I would paint the internal recesses of the shelving unit but before you pick a colour look at the types of items you are planning on displaying - this may give you a better steer on the colours to pick. Hope thats some help Rgds Vicky
    ...See More
  • Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago

Desert Rose is a dirty greyed plaster colour that seems to work well with blacks. It could look lovely with all of the other elements you like.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you! Will see if I can get a tester for it. :0)
  • Monica
    5 years ago

Colour happy you are so good <3 love your selections :)

• Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    Didn’t realise you still had the nib to the lhs of the fireplace, id paint all the one colour up to that (the panelled wall and chimney breast, inc inshots) then the extension wall from the nib in another colour, you could still do it in the dark grey but think the nib defines the two areas sort of speak, prob an off white for me in t the kitchen area and a gallery wall of pics on the wall opposite the kitchen units no matter what colour you paint it, I’m a big fan of art and think it makes a home :-) I’m sort of monochrome when it comes to paint, I like to add colour with art and accessories, saying that, most of my art is b&w and the only colours in my house is, the brown of a stained oak floor, orange accessories (fav colour) some mustard and some gold! So I’m not much of a colour guy.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ha ha @Beano.
    Yes we kept the nib as changed it all last minute when we had to get a new joiner as was too complicated and costly paying a new person to do it. Might as well had the steel put in to get rid of it after all but hey ho.

I’m the same - I prefer neutral/monochrome walls and to add art work and mirrors as accents as I can get bored with colours so it’s easier to mix up them up with accessories rather than repainting. Not a big bright colour fan either in the house. Monochrome all the way with metals to warm it up. Maybe I’m just boring, ha ha
  • Monica
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I am like you Beano, whilst I favour a layered more traditional look for my home. I like a more masculine aesthetic with a limited palette of neutrals, a lot of black and hints of colour peppered throughout. Oh and huge oversized art is a must for making your home look and feel a million dollars.

• Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago

Agree about the art. For me it determines the whole aesthetic of a room.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Not even thought about artwork yet - it might take me a while to get to that, LOL!

So re the panelled wall colour and chimney wall ... should I go with a similar colour to my units? It might not be 100% the same as it depends who mixes it but would be fairly dark.
  • Monica
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I would to keep it as coherent as you can throughout. You can go mid tone but it will make everything else harder to finish as you will have even more to consider bringing together and it seems like there's enough on your plate right now.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thanks. That makes it easier! Will get paint samples this weekend and see what it looks like. Got to wait until they plaster the ceiling before I finish the wood panelling otherwise it will ruin the paint (messy)

• Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    You once posted a pic at the start of one of your threads, think you were asking about how to get a similar colour, I thought it looked really well! As said, I like dark and by the looks of it you have plenty of light for the doors and roof light to go dark, btw, what type of floor/colour are you putting down? Ps I have pics against white and dark grey walls, much prefer the ones on the darker walls, black frame and a polar or off white inset mat, usually quite wide as it helps frame the pic even more, sayin that, I have seen some very ornate gold frames with contemporary b&w pictures in them and they looked very special indeed!
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks @Beano
    I will experiment on my app as well to see what it looks like :0)

I will either be going for LVT in a warm wood effect, grey/brown effect (kind of works well with industrial) or a grey - but the latter only if I have wood on the walls as I think it might just be too much grey! Ha ha ha
  • Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    Agree with that, could be grey overload, Only I had the 4 orange chairs I had and plan on keeping indefinitely, I would possibly have went herring bone oak floor in my kitchen! I’ve two white vondom stone sofas sitting either side of my table at the mo as I havnt got my patio laid to let me put them outdoors, it’s so 50 shades grey and white in there at the mo! This is what I mean about colour for me, the phone, plant books and bookends are what give me what I need in the hall as the prints are black and white with a small ‘splatter’ of red! Lol you can see the floor deffo add a bit of warmth!
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes lovely and your floor is nice and warm toned as well.
    The most colour I did in my last house in the walls was navy, ha ha.
  • kikiamack
    5 years ago
    If you click through to “learn more” on this photo there’s a whole project of dark rooms which may help you decide how far over to the dark side you want to go.
    Dark Tones · More Info
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi guys! The plastering of the lounge area is finally being done as I type (whoop!) so I want to get the paint etc sorted for it.

Still not 100% sure if I should use the same off black paint I’ve used in the kitchen - on the panelling and also the chimney breast wall??

Would it be too much of the same colour??

The kitchen wall is now as below (the grey colour is absolutely gorgeous btw) -ignore all the mess as I’ve had to move everything into the kitchen out the way of the plasterers!)

The wall opposite the kitchen (on the chimney side) is currently white so it will stay white or have that pale peachy plaster colour as previously discussed.

So - paint all the panelled wall and chimney breast and alcoves all in the same dark paint or should I paint the panelling dark and the chimney wall a tone lighter?
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ps sorry for being so indecisive :0( LOL
  • chloeloves
    5 years ago
    Hi Tani. It sounds like you are definitely painting the panelling so why not do that then see how you feel about the fireplace wall?
  • J
    5 years ago
    I felt the same decision fatigue towards the end of our whole house renovation and extension. And I got the painters to do the place in a lovely white. With the thought that I can then take my time to paint it myself if I needed more colour. Once I added plants and artwork I was quite happy to keep it as it was. But I'm sure I'd have changed it in the future ( moved overseas so it's now someone else's white walls).
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks both. The walls aren’t a major issue as easy to repaint but I don’t relish having to redo the panelled wall as it’s a lot of work. :0/ so I need to get the paint colour as right as I can to start with. Ha ha.

I could just do the panel wall first BUT it would probably look better being the same as the chimney breast colour. So then I wondered if having the same dark grey in the kitchen and living is too much ie should I go for a dark navy instead. Argh. Lol. Someone shoot me now!
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Or perhaps I could go for a f&b railings in the lounge which is still dark but a different tone to the Off Black I have in the kitchen??
  • Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago

I would be inclined to paint the panelled wall dark as the position of it seems to work, do the rest a mid toned colour. Personally I think white for the rest would be too bright and clean. Dark panelling will connect with the kitchen which looks fabulous at the moment, but I would leave it there. I would use wood that is not too greyed as the warmth of the wood will work well with the black.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @colourhappy - when you said wood... do you mean on the floor? I wasn’t sure.

So if I painted the panel in the same off black as all the kitchen then I will have the chimney breast and the dining room wall in different colours?
    I basically bought a big ol Louis fire surround which I had intended on painting the same colour as the chimney wall (all dark) so that’s why I’m struggling with not painting it dark as well. Dear me. I need more wine :@O
  • Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago

Hi Tani, yes I meant on the floor. Wine is essential when trying to look at paint colours. Basically, the whole thing is so difficult, sometimes you just have to slap it on, it's only paint.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ha ha, yeah I know. I just can’t face having to repaint the panelling if I get it wrong. LOL. Walls I can cope with ;0)
  • tamp75
    5 years ago
    Originally I thought it would be best to just paint the panelling dark - same colour as the kitchen wall but now I think it would look better to have the panelling and chimney wall & alcoves all the same colour + your fireplace! I wouldn’t introduce a different dark colour. Paint the rest of the room in something lighter. Some pics of options - I think the all dark ones work better.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @tamp those all look amazing!
    When you say not to introduce another dark colour ... do you mean to the whole room or two different ones in that corner?

Ie I was thinking of getting a sample of the F&B railings (so the next one down to the grey/black in my kitchen) because it has more blue tones.

Is it ok to have two different dark colours in different parts of the room? So as long as the panelling and chimney are the same? (Wasn’t sure if that’s what you meant or not)
  • tamp75
    5 years ago
    Personally wouldn’t have another dark colour in addition to the kitchen paint in the room. Not sure if it will look too disjointed? I’d stick with the dark you have, something a bit lighter & some metallics. I’m not overly familiar with railings though so maybe it could work but think with the fireplace, panelling, plastered walls, wood log alcove & kitchen there’s a lot going on in the room and one dark colour would bring it together.
  • Pavan123
    5 years ago
    I wouldn't do a similar colour it will just look odd having them in the same room. I'd paint the panelling off black and keep the chimney breast wall pale and in keeping with the rest of the room. I think if you paint the chimney breast dark as well it'll be a bit ott. But at the end of the day opinions are like assh*les, everyone's got one ;)
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Pavan LOL
  • Carolina
    4 years ago

Looks fabulous!

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago
    So I was right! Lol it looks fantastic! It’s a brave move but it has impact, just wait to the rooms dressed, it will look better again, love the panelling
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thank you :0)

Yes I can’t wait to get it all done now. Really adds some drama to the room which is so light anyway, it can carry it off
  • Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago
    I remember when I painted my living room (with my fav crown!) lol, well all but one wall which is f&b pavilion and thinking, what have I done! Stuck with it and put everything in, it looked fantastic, it’s the first thing people say when they see it, the dark adding drama to the room!

You love it now with no floor and no furniture your going to burst when it’s all finished! Lol well done
  • E D
    4 years ago

Yes panelling looks great. It’s Off Black isn’t it?

There is some blue in Off Black I noticed when having to stir it when I used it.

Colourhappy, what manufacturer makes the Desert Rose paint? I couldn’t really work out the name on the tin.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Yea it’s off black.
    Official word from F&B is that it’s not supposed to have any blue in it whatsoever.

Mine is a copy and so I find it must have added blue.

Weirdly, when I went to b&q valspar and asked them for a tin of it, they just scanned the colour card and it came back with all sorts of colours in it! Got him to do it again and it was different. So I don’t recommend getting replicas from them!
  • Juliet Docherty
    4 years ago

E D it's Paint and Paper library. A gorgeous colour but I can't use it myself as all of my internal windows are Farrow and Ball Light Grey. We chose it to save money, same colour inside and out but I really wish we had splurged and had a more neutral colour inside. You live and learn....

• E D
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Haha, it says that on the tin... I didn't think that was the manufacturer's name. I tried to decipher the 'logo' above it...

But yes, looks like a lovely colour. Might consider it for our hallway (with the Off Black doors and handrail) or maybe I'll just play it safe with Skimming Stone.

• Nina Edgewood
    4 years ago
    Haven't got time to read all the comments above so may be repeating what's already been said! I would go for the dark thing fully. Panelled wall, chimney breast and alcoves in the sitting area and definitely, definitely paint behind the kitchen units in the same shade. It'll make your kitchen look less...."kitcheny" . Regarding colours in the living area though I'm less sure about the navy with the black in the kitchen. I'd match it or go for a really dark green (looks fab with warm metallics) and then put some dark green foliage around the room too.

Can't wait to see it all done!
  • E D
    4 years ago

Ouch, Paper and Paint Library are pricey...

• Pavan123
    4 years ago
    Looks fab Tani, really impactful, and I’m sure the contrast between the light and dark spaces in your extension work really well! Out of interest, what stone did you use at the base of your fireplace? Did you lay it yourself?
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    @Nina - indeed it’s already done and I’ve recently posted photos ;0)

@pavin it’s limestone I think ? The fire people fitted it. It’s fine and raw edge but was a lot cheaper than alternatives!
  • Monica
    4 years ago

Looks Fab Tani, I was in the all one colour camp as well. I like to keep things continuous, and find that open plan rooms get so crowded with so many areas anyway, the less you have going on the better overall. What did you do with the door in the end? I would have like that painted black as well

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thank you :0)

Do you think if I tried a neutral like the rose one mentioned above - on the dining room wall (the one that runs the same as the chimney breast), that it would look odd with having white elsewhere? I have a white ceiling and the utility room wall is white and the bifold door wall is white.

It might be the neutral looks better and I end up painting it all in that but don’t want to complicate it if only two colours are better in here.
  • Monica
    4 years ago

My guess is paint it all in... again for simplicity sake, but to be honest I do not think it would matter much. It will all be fairly neutral and light against the black, not as noticeable especially when everything else is in. But paint the dining room wall to start then see where that takes you. Did you see my door comment?

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    I completely missed that! LOL. Mornings ;0)

- the door will indeed be painted the same colour. I just took it off to paint all the door frame and it’s on my list for the next rainy day (been starting the garden tidy up now the patio is done as it’s a mess!)

Only pain is that from the hallway it will be painted a lighter colour so now I have to sand down all the drips on it and the frame as I made a mess, ha ha.
    Would have loved dark doors in the hall BUT it’s a tiny space with barely any natural light and has 5 doors in it!! (Bungalow) pfff. All wood so have to paint them (horrified smiley face inserted here!!)
  • LTS
    4 years ago
    Wow that looks fantastic!!
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.