marcus_beard

White or Grey Grout with Metro Tiles?

Marcus Beard
5 years ago

We're redoing some bathrooms and are having some analysis paralysis regarding tiles and grout.

My partner and I were set on white bevelled subway tiles for our bathroom, but flip flopped many what colour grout to use: white or light grey. We have had our ensuite grouted in white, and now we're not sure.

Our tiler has said it's fairly simple to re-finish and colour grout, even if we wanted a slightly different shade. Our pros and cons for each:

White:
+ clean and modern
+ less lines
- harder to keep clean
- very bright - 'prison cell'-esque

Light Grey:
+ Softens the stark whiteness
+ easier to keep clean
- too busy for a small room?
- personally feel it is a bit dated already

I wanted to get some advice and thoughts. We have a full bathroom left to tile (and grout) which is about 2x the size.

Another complication is that we actually asked for dark grey grout on the floor. It's light grey, which we're fine with, that now factors into the decision.

Shall we stain the grout to light grey? Are we overthinking? What do you think looks best?

Comments (32)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.