urgent help - layout for patio tiles!

Tani H-S
8 April, 2019
The landscapers need to order the black/grey limestone slabs today for our back garden. We wanted a more modern finish and have a 1.2m path running alongside the back of the extension bifolds and then a raised large oblong patio area off it.

Originally wanted just super large slabs (think they are 900 x 600??) but I’m not sure now what will look best? It’s fine large as stepping stones but not sure if they look boring done as brick style?

Options are

patio kit (with all mixed sizes which I wasn’t keen on as looks a bit traditional)

All large sizes as brick or random fit

Mix of large and 600x600 rows (see pic)

Help! What’s best??

• Victoria
    Mix of 600/900 and 600/600 or brick 600/900. I like both of those options.
  • pmasmith3
    Straight lines look more contemporary. 900 x 600 or 600 x 600.
  • pmasmith3
    I think 900 X 600 are more expensive which is why I've got to go 600 X 600!
  • ashleyizz
    1st or 3rd photo for more modern look. I got really hung up on the best out out for my patio and turns out once you have furniture and pots on it you hardly notice !
    Personally I think the use of large rectangles alone looks the most contemporary. However there is often a cost advantage of smaller slabs. Consider laying 900x600 with 600x600 in staggered rows.
    Patio packs may be better value - I think using them all together makes a cottage style look but perhaps it is still cost effective to take the smallest slabs out, lay contemporary rows and then lay the small slabs elsewhere.
  • Tani H-S
    Thanks guys! I think the larger ones worked out at £80 more overall so we will just do those in a straight run as that seems to be the most popular suggestion :0)
  • Beano
    Funnily enough I’ve the same dilemma, the tiles I’m using are 1200x600 and 20mm thick! I’ve decided in this pattern.
  • Tani H-S
    Oo herringbone! Love it. Would it work for a patio that leads on from big doors though?
  • Beano
    How do you mean? Ps I think the tile needs to be at least 100/50% length to breadth for a herringbone to work....I think! So your 900 needs to be 900x450 to work in the above pattern
  • E D

I’m sure Beano’s pattern would work on your patio too.

May cost a little more in labour perhaps (?) but I feel it may well look really nice.

• E D

So is your patio going to be oblong in shape Tani?

• Beano
    Ed’s right, I just spotted this in your proportions, just offsets the pattern slightly, I like it. Top left one :-)
  • Tani H-S
    Ah, yeah mine are 900 x 600 I think. Might be wrong but will check when they arrive. Will ask the guys if they have done this pattern before as well because as you say, it will increase labour costs and it’s already gone up £200 from the original quote :0/
  • Tani H-S
    Quick Q ... they use a resin for pointing so we don’t get weeds growing through (yay!) but I have a choice of natural (too light), grey or black.

The tiles are black limestone which actually look mid grey but darker slightly when sealed and can look black when wet.

The grey resin isn’t very dark. Black might be too harsh.
    Any thoughts??
  • Julie C

Any after pics?

• mushkeeraksin

who are you using to renovate the flooring outside?

• Tani H-S

Sorry yes - photo below.
    Just in the middle of having it cleaned and then a sealer putting on as they didn’t seal them before fitting so they are filthy! :0(

• Tani H-S

@mushk - just a local landscaping company who also did our building work but they obviously aren’t experienced with limestone so I wouldn’t recommend them if that’s what you are planning on having

Brandler London

I rather like your third image as this colour works with everything that you may wish to have in terms of furniture, etc.

• E D

Brandler...

• Tani H-S

I was confused until I saw your comment @ED , ha ha
    Realised it was probably in the wrong dilemma! LOL