webuser_71660

final bathroom design - semi industrial?

Tani H-S
5 years ago

back to my downstairs 'main' bathroom now most of the extension section and utility have been done as I know exactly what space I have now.

So to recap... Bungalow with en-suite shower room upstairs servicing master bedroom. This bathroom is to service 2 downstairs bedrooms and also used a downstairs WC (as no separate one).

It's not massive - unfortunately.

Final sizes (not allowing for tiles and any re-plastering) are 2235 width x 1880 depth (from the door to the sink wall)

Issues:-

Internal room with no windows. Was going to put one high up above the shower but East facing and another house in the way SO looking at putting in a Sun Tunnel instead - 14" seems to be the largest one. Hoping that will give us enough day light as we can face it South on the roof??? Plus spots of course :o/

Gas meter in the way so in the image I am boxing it out and will encase the thermostatic shower on the wall (left of the WC) along with some box recesses for shower gels etc.

WC will be wall hung but not sure the best way to do it (one on the pic looks huge!LOL) ie

We don't want a bath. Next best thing is a walk in shower but with semi-flush tray. Can't afford to do a wet room as ran out of funds so trying to make it look good but without spending a small fortune.

Want to go for a semi industrial style (ignore the marble) - perhaps worn looking wood tiles maybe (not sure if I can use those Victorian effect tiles in a 30's house????)

Plumber suggested the shower panels as quicker to put them up to save on tiling labour. I have seen some nice ones but they are expensive but not sure what would work with the bathroom.

Thinking black fittings maybe? Or a mix of black and chrome as not sure what the black finish will be like on products (durability?)

Any thoughts/suggestions/pics welcome/

Comments (78)

• J
    5 years ago
    I agree on the position of the shower :) but if you split up the shower head down that WC end and the taps where's the opening is you can stand outside the shower and then jump in when the water is warm. Of course more expense but if your water is coming in there anyways maybe not so much. :D
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ah ok, I get you now. Yes - I’ve also someone have a controller on the outside that does the same thing. Will have to look into it some more ...
  • Related Discussions

Tiny bathroom design - Help!

Q

Comments (21)
    I would still suggest tanking/waterproofing the room prior to the installation of a standard shower tray or bath. Waterproofing membranes with the European Technical Approval will withstand normal movement within a house but the flooring and walls need to be of sound construction - a wetroom can be properly fitted in age of building. These principles apply to a standard tray or bath as the silicone beading around the edge may fail (from movement/age) and let wall bypass the tray, causing damage to the building underneath. This picture was taking after a bath with wall mounted shower was removed. The silicone had failed causing the wood to rot. This was all replaced and the below was created in its place: A bath will be easier for people with young children and if you plan to sell on, a wetroom will appeal to some where a bath will appeal more to others. Which ever path you choose (both your designs look nice) I would recommend waterproofing the room before it is installed. Kind Regards Mike
    ...See More

Botched bathroom job

Q

Comments (4)
    Hiya, Sorry to hear you're having problems! Fitting/Tiling is a really tough job and changing half way through can have so much of a knock on effect and with fitters being booked 6 months, they can't afford to change jobs in between. That being said, you are the end customer, you should have what you want. In a similar problem, I had a customer who came to me after they bought nickel brassware everywhere but ordered chrome trims by mistake. The fitter fitted them and then obviously they looked wrong. When she wanted them changed he said it wasn't possible as 'they don't do that trim in nickel' ... basically trying to pull wool over her eyes! The fitter ended up redoing it but it did cock up the next 2 months of jobs. Depending on what you paid (Fitters in Bristol, UK tend to be £6000-£8000 for a good 10-14 day job) depends on what finish you get. I know people that can do a bathroom fit for £1500 but I wouldn't be expected all the extra thoughts and planning to have gone into it. With the silicone - Usually white is used to match with the grout or most fitters would nowadays use a tile trim of some sort just to guarantee themselves. It should last atleast 15+ years. Hope this helps!! :)
    ...See More

Extension option for 3-bed semi

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi! I'm Chorlton based too! There are lots of ways you could tackle this. To answer your questions: 1. It depends on your budget! A lower cost kitchen might be around £10k and a lower cost bathroom around £2k to fit out. Cheaper is possible, especially if you look at buying second-hand etc. You could spend your money where it's going to give you the most impact and longer term investment - in the bricks and mortar part, and go the lowest cost route possible for the kitchen and bathroom, even reusing what you've got already where you can, but in a new configuration, and then later on when you've got some more budget you could replace the kitchen and the bathroom as straightforward fit-outs. You can spend as much as you like on a kitchen and bathroom - the sky is the limit! Equally there are lots of clever ways around things to bring it within budget. 2. Depends if the wall is structural or not. It doesn't line up with the ground floor wall, which tends to suggest that it isn't but it's best to check. Either way it's possible to move the wall because you can always add in a steel, but equally there's potential to make a corridor taking part of the bathroom to reach the extension. 3. There is no strict requirement to retain the existing roof pitch, but there are planning issues that can restrict/limit what you can do. There are different ways to approach the roof form. I think you may be thinking of permitted development. You can also apply for extended permitted development, which allows you to extend back further. If you're looking for a 2-storey extension then to get your best solution it may be better to just apply for planning permission and get what you want, without restricting yourself to PD. Again you have options. If you'd like to have a free chat with me to talk this through then you can book one in here: https://calendly.com/iarchitect/20minchat
    ...See More

Bathroom tile inspiration

Q

Comments (16)
    oh my goodness, Sarah, I'm in love with these tiles from Milagros. They are beautiful! I think I will call them tomorrow to check their lead times. Thank you for pointing me to them. Nicola - you know, I've not been into hexagonal tiles, but tonight I tasked my husband with looking at some tile inspiration and he picked out some hexagonal ones. Not so keen on the ones with the stripes, but I love the colours of the plain ones. If they were arranged in a randomised pattern they could be so fun. And they are so cheap! I never thought that the tiles would be the hardest thing to choose! 🙈 Why is that?! Hope you find something you love soon.
    ...See More
  • Huw Buckley
    5 years ago
    I would go with tiles for the walls. Have used panels before? not a fan, as unless the edges and bottoms are fully sealed before installation (bottoms especially), they can delaminate and bubble.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

just updating this as I'm FINALLY about to decide on the furniture and tiles etc and I could do with a little help... will post some pics etc below.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok... so we have decided to go for a bath with shower over as we might not stay here for as long as we thought and it will be better for resale.

Have updated my mock up ALTHOUGH the wall tiles will be all around the back and not over the wc or sink (can’t change this with the program) and the towel heater will be at the end of the bath now.

BATH:-

Found this 400 high bath thats only 380 deep so water saving and easier to climb in and out of. Now they include the shower screen in the cheap price (either plain one, hinged in middle or this funky industrial style one!)

Q. Will this industrial screen be too much in our small bathroom or not?
    It would go with our sink stand we are getting.(see pic below)

TILES:-

Going for some tiles like the one in the mock up - maybe a grey and black combo. Thinking that if we get some larger format concrete effect wall tiles for around the bath (not right up to the ceiling) in a light grey and maybe some nice herringbone for above the sink area, that would all work???

Honestly, I just struggle to decide these days- it’s all too much for me to think about, LOL.

Mirror above the sink - not sure what to get yet. Maybe a light up one as might not be much natural light in there now. Plus if I go to industrial, it will be too much.

Any help appreciated!!

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

oh forget to ask about the shower! Doh!

- SHOWER:

If we go for the black industrial bath screen, should we stay with silver taps and shower fittings so it's not too much OR go for all black??

• Karen W
    4 years ago

have you found a company to fit your sun tube yet? I would like one but havent found anybody locally who sounds confident fitting one.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Karen - have you posted this on the right thread? I’m not sure 🙈 maybe I mentioned it at the beginning of the post.
    No, not doing a sun tunnel but looking at internal window or velux now

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Minnie - you had some fab ideas - do you think the Crittall style bath screen would work?

• E D
    4 years ago

I think a crittal style screen could work, but only in the right context.

It doesn’t look great, imho, in the example photos, particularly in the second one where it doesn’t suit the bath and looks like a contrived afterthought.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi ED, did you see my bathroom layout I did? Ie my virtual mock up? Would it look ok in this for example?
    The real bath images are just screen shots of the product

• E D
    4 years ago

I think it would look okay but perhaps you need to be a little cautious with ‘trendy’ style items.

The same goes for the tiles. They look lovely but they may well start to look dated by the time you’re ready to move.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ah I’m not worried about the tiles dating so much as I like the encaustic look. Matches our utility etc 😉

• pmasmith3
    4 years ago

Much as I love Crittal style, it might compete with the patterned floor tiles in a small bathroom. Maybe save the Crittal idea for your next house.....

• Danielle H
    4 years ago

I love the crittal look but all I can think is how annoying it would be to clean each glass pane individually! If it were a full height screen in a big wet room I would go for it but I think in this size of room a plain bath screen is fine, let your tiles and lovely sink do the talking. I have all black fittings in my bathroom and I love how they look immaculate pretty much all the time compared to when I had chrome and was constantly cleaning off limescale or soap residue. So I'd say go for the black fittings.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks both. @Danielle - the screen is just faked to look like Crittall and is just one pane of glass. 😉

No worries - I was thinking it would be too much in such a small space but I have a tendency to play it safe sometimes so thought I would ask 😊

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Re the plain bath screens - any advice on practically as I’ve never had one before (used a curtain previously)

There is a solid plain one which is hinges the wall so can be moved in.

Or there is this one which is hinges in the middle. It’s probably not as aesthetically clean cut but would be easier to wash the dogs with as I can fold the short panel back and out the way?

Would a single panel do the same?

• kwg kwg
    4 years ago

Hi Tani,

I would just say buy the one that suits your lifestyle and how you would use it. I think we all spend too much time thinking about making things look like showrooms than practicality, cleaning etc and I'm the biggest culprit! If things look nice but are not suited to how we would use it then it would annoy us when we use it.

Personally, I prefer a single plain one which moves from the hinges attached to the wall ( I had one in my previous bathroom and I plan to get one again ). I'm not sure about the 2 pane bath screen, I'm just thinking about the cleaning, easier to one pane rather than 2 panes, or you might have to clean the 2 pane more to keep it cleaner, especially the gap? Also, if you have a one pane screen, do you have room to fully open it out at 45 degrees from original position? If not then maybe you may have to go with a 2 pane.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It is more for practicality I’m wondering as I’ve never had one before. But yes I did wonder if the crittall style would look better visually but it’s getting a balance between the look and practical aspect.
    Also as it might not have much natural light, I want it to be fairly striking and modern to compensate, ha ha

• minnie101
    4 years ago

Hi Tani. Sorry to hear you may be moving, is that definite? I'm sad after all your time and effort!

i like the bath screen with the vanity stand (and encaustic style tiles) but something doesn't sit quite right, I think it's the fact the bath has the recessed plinth? I tried finding another pic to demonstrate but I think that screen looks too small relative to the bath height?! I've got a near identical sink and stand to the 2nd pic in my ensuite so love your choice but just playing devils advocate if you're putting in a bath to suit someone else do you also need covered storage if it's the main bathroom? Although saying that, although i still havent bought them, I just intended to use a wash bag, basket etc though to hide toiletries although we don't have masses of things!

Your house is fab and I'm not isolating buyers but just wondering due to the bedroom set up will it attract more people with older kids rather than young ones? Plus obviously anyone that doesn't sit in that bracket! If so, would your preferred choice of a shower be more appropriate? Kids obviously shower at a much younger age plus the elderly or those less abled tend to prefer a shower. I also like brass taps. I've heard a lot of people comment re limescale on black if you're in a hard water area although I guess it won't be used much before selling so probably a moot point!

Will the loo no longer be wall hung? I assume btw you are obviously tiling the back wall as the shower is there? I'm not so sure on the herringbone splashback, will the tiles be small enough to be effective? I'd probably continue the wall tile which I suspect would also make it feel a bit bigger?

• minnie101
    4 years ago

Re bath screen, given the baths height, just make sure the loo isn't too high! I'm being lazy but suspect most loos hang higher than 40cm??

• E D
    4 years ago

We have one shower over bath with a screen and one with a curtain.

On practicality the curtain wins hands down...

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Minnie! Well on the hush, we are thinking of going travelling in the campervan so might either sell or rent it out for a while but not sure yet 😉

Yes that bath panel has an awful step in it so I won’t get that panel. Needs to be sleek and flat I think.
    The loo will be a standard floor one as no space in the wall to fit a wall hung one without building it all out (more expense!)

I chose the vanity because the look is great and fits in with semi industrial but also because it’s half the price of most vanity units like £154 with the sink!
    My husband will be using the bathroom most days as he gets up early for work so our en suite is not convenient as it keeps me awake, ha ha. It might be 2 years before we look at travelling.

I did a poll on another thread and most people said they would still prefer to buy a house with a bath even if they didn’t use it so I went with the majority. I don’t want to alienate anyone and as have a shower upstairs then there will be both? I thought a walk in shower is best but who knows ha ha.

Tiling only the floor and the walls around the bath ie so no tiles on the wc or sink area except a splashback.

• the bath is a shorter one which makes it easier to get in/out of the bath for young and old people so if we go with that one, do you think a plain screen would be better then?
  • Jaya Garella
    4 years ago

Hi, have you considered filing the long wall behind the bath/ shower and keeping the rest of the tiling quite neutral? It would add depth to the room and a very attractive feature to draw you in. A cream/ black/ blue tile could look subtle and gorgeous.

See this one: https://victoriaplum.com/product/lucena-melia-traditional-matt-wall-and-floor-tile-450mm-x-450mm

I think people are ok with having showers only these days, rather a good shower than a compromise bath, unless it is aimed at families in which case it could be more useful.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I was only going to tile the 3 walls around the bath in a concrete grey style tile - say 300x600 size so it keeps it simple. Nothing too dark as the floor tile is very busy?

I usually love a darker tile on the wall but don’t want to close it in?

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@jaya ah so you mean a patterned tile on the large bath wall rather than on the floor?

• Jaya Garella
    4 years ago

Yes that’s what I meant

• minnie101
    4 years ago

Oh wow, that will be amazing! (well once coronavirus is over). It's a hard one re rent or sell, how long do you plan on going for?

I agree re sleek bath panel. I looked at a few loos and did see one at 390 height so you should be fine. I found your vote re shower or bath, it wasn't totally overwhelming? if you do stick with a bath it's hard to tell how far back a single screen will fold back before hitting the cistern but I doubt it would fold back that far??

So are you in a hard water area re limescale on black taps if your husband will use it? As the waste etc is on display with that vanity you do also need to consider the cost of the waste and bottle trap as obviously the fancy looking ones are dearer and chrome or black should be cheaper than brass. I like brass but black would be my next choice if it's practical. Btw, are you sure the vanity price includes the sink?

So have you actually found the floor and wall tiles?

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Might be a year initially but we like to move if we can get jobs etc. Brexit and all that! LOL.

• don’t think our water is hard as no issue with limescale thankfully.

Yes brass is nice but couldn’t find any cheap enough. Black one I saw was £199 on Victoria plumb but the version with separate mixer valve was £350 which is too much.

Yes the sink unit is definately including the sink. They do a waste and trap in black as well - not too expensive. Still worked out cheaper than the vanity I was looking to get as I still needed those bits for it anyway, ha ha. This one:- https://www.ukbathrooms.com/products/britton-frame-washstand-with-shoreditch-basin.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkr74j6Kf6AIVw_ZRCh1SFQ4JEAQYCSABEgJDLvD_BwE

Not yet chosen the tiles but have a rough idea of the scheme. Just need to get samples in I guess.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ps the bath screen -I presumed it would fold inwards towards the wall and not to the loo? 🤔 hope that’s the case, lol!!

• minnie101
    4 years ago

Oh, even bigger wow!! Any country in mind? So will you take the dogs with you?

I'd probably choose black in that case and add some warmth with the untitled walls? I keep seeing more and more sealed plaster walls around btw!! 😂

britton do a matching tap, waste and trap in black but not all available on that website. Am I having a moment re the price?! https://www.ukbathrooms.com/products/britton-frame-washstand-with-shoreditch-basin.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkr74j6Kf6AIVw_ZRCh1SFQ4JEAQYCSABEgJDLvD_BwE

The screens fold back either way (from memory, it's been a while) but you'd need to make sure it doesn't hit the shower too?

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh poop. They must have realised it was an error on the price and changed it as I was surprised at how cheap it was with the basin. Gutted. (just checked it now but it originally did include the basin on the 600!) Bah. Back to the drawing board then, lol.

No idea about the dogs yet. Mainly Italy and France though ;o)

Yes I think thinking we could use a bathroom paper to add some interest above the sink etc - maybe a vintage brick effect or even a tropical palm. Who knows! haha That's the good thing about un-tiled walls - gives me more flexibility

• E D
    4 years ago

Coincidentally I was looking at shower screens etc a couple of days ago and I too came across Victoria Plumb.

They seem to want to trick shoppers into thinking they are Victorian Plumbing.

Hopefully they’re not dodgy...

Maybe check out showerscreensuk.co.uk

They look well stocked too.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I know - it gets so confusing as to who is who 😂 They have been going for years though so I’m sure they are fine.

I just picked that bath as it was cheap including the screens and they got good reviews.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So do you think I should stick with a standard height bath then @minnie rather than a low profile one? So it doesn’t look odd? They are just a pain for climbing into and I’m not old I’m able bodied! LOL.

On another note...

We cut the hole for our internal window in the wall and in the extension and ... it doesn’t give much light still. Boo. Lol. It was hard work as well! We could put some LED daylight strips around it though so make it more light natural light coming through but either way we still need to have the room lights on all the time.

• minnie101
    4 years ago

Hi Tani. It may be easier 😂 (I tried looking for a low bath earlier!). However I only mentioned bath versus screen proportions when I found this pic with the sleek bath as the screen just looks too small relative to the bath (to me) so not suggesting you need a normal height bath. The bath and screen you found looks fine proportionally.

how annoying re the internal window 😡 It's hard to know what to suggest tbh. Are you wanting a bathroom you love or looking for the greatest appeal for selling E.g. I love the Palm wallpaper idea but I'm sure many won't!!

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It’s one I like and that is modern but also that would not shock potential buyers in the future, ha ha.
    Palm wallpaper would never happen anyway as we are rubbish at putting wallpaper up, ha ha. Would go for a brick effect if it was a subtle industrial theme I guess.

Those previous images you posted a few replies back were lovely and the same screen looks great as a shower. Bath might be better plain the it seems.

Trying to work out now about the shower type as we were going to have the controls on the entrance (left of the bath) so we can get to them easily if you want to wash the dogs etc. Now I’m not sure how it works with a bath and fixed head shower. Urgh.
    Hoping the grey tiles will look ok as well. Trying for larger ones to reduce tiling cost (especially now with this virus as I won’t be earning anything for months!!!)

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Morning all!

I thought I would update this thread rather than starting ANOTHER one on the design side

STILL not done the bathroom, LOL. Honestly. Well Covid delayed us to be fair as the bathroom guys were off for months and now there is a backlog. However the plumber is finally coming tomorrow to move some of the pipes over ready for the shower.

I've decided on a few things but I'm still massively struggling with the design in terms of tiling and don't know where to start with it.

Things I have decided on:-

-Soft industrial with warmth, black metal and natural elements. It's a small room and don't want it to feel cold or stark.

-standard short projection WC (not back to wall) for cost purposes.

- freestanding/wall mounted framed sink unit (black metal frame with white sink - possible wood top)

-straight or L shaped bath with tiled panel front

- black framed bath screen

- skylight (YES we can fit one in!! whoop! - should be done in November hopefully)

Design aspect/tiles etc:-

thinking of a brick slip wall going straight up behind the sink area as a feature strip (cheaper than doing it on the whole wall as it's expensive) as it would add that industrial rustic feel I love. Most bathrooms I like have some sort of reclaimed brick wall so I think that's the way to go with it.

Alternative is to start the brickwork from the sink upwards so above the WC and sink is all brick but the shower is tiled. Not sure what I would put below the WC and sink though ie just paint?? Might look odd with brick just starting mid way up?

I love the victorian style tiles - black/grey patterned ones. Options are to either have these on the floor or, to put these on the shower head wall and have a vintage LVT on the floor that matches our lounge.

I just don't know what will clash and what else to put on the bath panel and up the rest of the walls around the bath?? I don't like subway tiles at all so that is not an option.

The rest of my house has a lot of darker F&B Off black which is a gorgeous colour and really cosy and warm so I am happy to use some of the paint in the bathroom wherever - but it won't be suitable in the shower part, obviously.

Can anyone please help with the tile side and colours/style etc based on the rest of the design I have chosen? Thank you in advance.

(**

image is just a rough mock up as I can't put the proper vanity I want or change part of the wall to half tiled etc)

• Jaya Garella
    3 years ago

Hi Tani, I would love to see this bathroom with a slate colour on the wall with the basin and loo, which would really make these features pop, and be stunning against the Victorian style floor tiles. You could tile the entire wall in this colour. You would have the opposing walls in white, the basin wall in dark and a stunning floor pattern. The bricks are a bit much for me in the small space especially as they would only be in a small section and look “applied” - the junction between them and a painted/ tiled wall could be untidy especially as your bath screen would site in the same line.
    Please consider some wall lights either side of the mirror, and a shelf or some storage built in for your family/ potential buyers. And I would recommend porcelain rather than encaustic tiles for the floor, in a smaller pattern if possible.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hello,

I love slate grey colour but have done the upstairs bathroom in a similar colour so was hoping to do something a little different perhaps.

I want to tile the shower wall and large wall next to it (leaving a gap at the top as the ceilings are 2.74m high!!) and around the other side of the bath but leave the other 3 walls either un-tiled or with a small amount of tiling.

I’m concerned with only a velux in the room and tall ceilings and no other light (velux will face east as well so not full sunlight all day) that going too dark might be too much or without those warmer tones, it could feel too cold.

Re the brick - so are you saying we either have to do the whole wc/sink wall in it (ending at the shower) or not at all?

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

also - the room is small with high ceilings ie about 9ft I think. Are there any clever ways of making it more proportioned?

• Jaya Garella
    3 years ago

Hi, If you don’t want to repeat the grey, what do you think about still using the brick slips that you like but in a white colour? That would give you the feel without adding another colour? Colour can be brought in with towels and a picture on the wall (wall opposite bath).

The other option I do like is using a patterned tile on the longer bath wall. That would also proportion the room also as your eye is drawn to the pattern on the widest possible wall in the room, and you can see full tiles which will have maximum impact too.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So use the same patterned tile on the floor and bath panel and back wall? Or just on the back wall and bath panel and something different for the floor? Don’t want it to be too much 🙈

What would I do with the other 3 walls I’m not tiling? To split the wall up?

• Jaya Garella
    3 years ago

Either - wall and floor or wall and bath panel. I like the white tiles you have shown on the other bath surround walls. Try out both options as a visual and see which you prefer, or share with us here. We can vote 😀. Use the same as a skirting tile in the bathroom and paint everywhere else, with the bras in you have chosen you don’t need any splash back tiles. The walls won’t look spilt as the white tiles are so subtle.

3 years ago

I’m following this discussion with interest as thinking of doing a bathroom with similar elements. Jaya, can I ask why not encaustic tiles? I’ve picked out some lovely ones for floor and possibly the shower enclosure, is that not a good idea? Sorry to jump in on your thread Tani.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No problem at all!
    Sometimes I get so fed up of trying to find the exact things I want that I feel like doing something the complete opposite. Ha ha

• Jaya Garella
    3 years ago

Encaustic tiles are cement based, so they have a bit of porosity. You can use them for those areas, but will need to seal them before use and reapply the sealant after a year or so and regularly. The pattern is usually pressed on to the surface, so water can damage it. They are beautiful, but need more maintenance. We had them applied to a client’s balcony, they look amazing, and are cleaned and revealed every summer.

3 years ago

Thank you Jaya, that’s really helpful information, they don’t sound suitable for where I want to use them so thank you for heading off a potential disaster!

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Jaya Garella I wasn't 100% sure what you meant by 'the bras'? haha.

none of the tiles on the mock up pic are anything I have specifically chosen - they are the least offensive on the app I had which is a house mock up program and not specifically for bathrooms. I would need a splashback with a sink unit though as that back sink/wc wall is just a wood frame at the moment so will need plasterboarding.

Part of me wants to avoid the grey as although I love a rich grey, the rest of my house is off black by F&B so very dark and moody. In the tiles in a small room it might be a bit drab?

I'm also struggling to find patterned tiles that I could put all over the bath wall and bath that wouldn't be too much ie too large a pattern or too small. I would then have to have maybe a wood effect (vinyl or tile) on the floor as I think pattern on the floor and bath panel and large wall might be too much? You don't see the bath wall when you walk in as the door opens to the left and hides it.

Trying to find some industrial glam images of alternative options as I'm a bit stuck in a rut with it and my bathroom fitting team is a bit old school so not up on design! haha

• Jaya Garella
    3 years ago

I meant basin, typo, sorry!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.