zarie617

House layout with extension. 4 or 5 bedrooms?

zarie617
5 years ago
I need to pick your brains about layout. We had some plans drawn to do a double storey extension on our 3 bed semi. Initially I thought that I wanted to make it 5 bed with an open plan kitchen living space and this is what the plans are currently of. However I'm worried that by putting in 5 beds this could make all the rooms a little on the small side and the en-suites and main bathroom quite small. In the plans they have drawn a double size bed to scale but concerned you could not get an awful lot of furniture in there. Also we would want at least a king size in bedroom 1. So my question is do I go for 5 bed that could end up very underwhelming or do I go for 4 bed and have larger rooms and an impressive master with larger en-suite and possibly walk through wardrobe. And also have a larger family bathroom? I'm also worried the downstairs hallway is going to be very narrow. Any suggestions of what a 4 bed plan could look like within the outline of the attached plans?

For background our requirements were to have a large open plan kitchen-diner-living space, a separate lounge area, a study as both me and my husband work from home. We wanted to move our staircase as it is currently along the attached wall (red dotted line) in the room currently marked lounge but it is very steep. So where you see it in the plans attached is where the architect has currently suggested but this could be moved elsewhere. I thought about possibly having the stairs coming directly off the open plan area? But will this mean a lot of noise travels upstairs? We also have 3 DC so originally I wanted to have 5 beds so they would have a room each and we would also have a spare. We have family visit once a month so I wanted there to be minimal disruption each time they visited I.e not having to turf one of the kids out of their room or have them taking up the lounge. But now I'm wondering if that compromises the overall space too much.

In the plans attached the walls highlighted green are the outline of our current house and are the walls that need to stay structurally. We also needed to stage the extension backwards in order to make enough car parking spaces at the front as per council requirements.

I'd be so grateful if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments (27)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.