happydays28

Assistance Please : Photinia Fraseri Compacta Trees ( Red Robin)

happydays28
5 years ago

Hi Everybody,

I need your valuable advice please, I intend to grow Photinia Red Robin Trees in my garden ( 5/6 feet tall ) as it is an evergreen tree. I was planning on planting these trees close to my garden fence and wanted to know if the roots of these trees may damage the fence. I have also read that this tree can shed a lot of leaves and possibly ruin the lawn. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Comments (5)

• Jonathan
    5 years ago
    I had these at a previous house and they are perfect for what you want and quiet easy to look after.
    I would plant them 50cm from the fence, 1.2m apart and feed them like mad in the first two years.
    Two extra things- although evergreen they do shed leaves throughout the year- there is one particular time they do drop more (I forget late spring?) - for most of the year the mower will pick up stray leaves but there is a two week period where they will drop more and you will have to rake them up.
    Secondly they thrive if pruned well- don’t just take a trimmer to the outside- they will start to grow spindly. There is lots of advice online but generally:-
    Start pruning the year after planting.
    Prune spring or summer but not later
    Pruning is good because it encourages more red leaves so you can do it more than once a year.
    Always cut off stems with brown spots on the leaves.
    Cut out any bracken in the centre of the plant to encourage new growth.
    If you are pruning a branch don’t take off more than a third of the length.
  • Gabby Wong
    5 years ago
    We’re thinking of getting these as well, but hoping to grow them taller, I worry slightly about them getting out of hand on the neighbours side of the fence, but I guess that’ll be the same regardless of what we plant.
  • rachelmidlands
    5 years ago
    Here’s a good site that should tell you all you need: https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/shrub/photinia-red-robin.php The roots are not as invasive as other species so shouldn’t affect anything but plant them 1-2ft away from the fence.
  • Sonia
    5 years ago
    Great advice here. Photinia is actually a shrub, not a tree, which can grow to 10-15 feet but can easily be pruned to keep it smaller. The ones shaped more like a lollipop have been pruned that way by the nursery and do cost more. However I think you can copy that shape by removing the lower branches to make them look more like a tree. I think they are particularly beautiful and are very popular. Not sure how far the roots spread but the fact it’s a shrub and not a tree means hopefully they will behave themselves!

I’ve bought plants from Crocus online and the plants are excellent quality.
  • happydays28
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jonathan, rachelmidlands & forzaitalia - I'm grateful for this great advice.

Thank you all.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.