wayne_stephens1

Bathroom Renovation Ideas

wayne_stephens1
17 April, 2019
After cracking the toilet cistern trying to fix the syphon I’m debating new toilet maybe new bathroom!!
It’s small and old design poorly done too. Been here nearly 5 years and would be nice to have new bathroom.
A major question I need help with other than opinions on design. Under the stairs there’s a huge ‘dead’ space. Any creative ideas for storage would be great!

I notice some fairly substantial upright timbers on the picture so I think the cupboard can’t come out as it’s holding up the stairs. So instead I would probably have the doors taken off and it made into a niche ( couple of shelves that are not as deep as the current underused cupboard)
    Separately I would put the bath taps at the opposite end and get a P-shaped bath, upgrade the single glazed window and get a slatted blind and then I would replace the toilet with a space saving version and get a vanity for storage.
    I would also think about the direction of any flooring to make the room seem larger and I would leave much of the room as painted walls as I think having floor to ceiling glossy tiles is a little clinical. Colour wise I think whites and blues also make a bathroom feel cold and so if you are having a change I would do the same trick as hotel spas and choose stone and earth colours softened with a little wood (shelves/vanity/blind), sumptuous cotton towels, dimable warm white LED lighting and some greenery too.
    Best of luck with whatever you choose.
  • rinq

Before getting a new bathroom, consider some double glazing. Insulation makes it possible to get a smaller radiator or a kickspace heater under the stairs, floor heating perhaps? Rotate the toilet. Move the bath tap to the opposite side. Floating vanity with a drawer. Perhaps a shelf over the toilet for some storage baskets. Hang a towel rack on the wall above the kickspace. I've tried to make a schematic drawing of the wall:

Sidenote: We've turned a tiny bedroom into a bathroom and I really wanted a wc in there, but there just wasn't enough space. But there was a 90cm wide closet next to it. (With the downstairs loo just below it, yay!) So we knocked though the wall, made the closet 40cm wide and installed a floating wc. Quite a project for a second wc, but well worth it. What I'm trying to say is: If you'd like some more space to move around, is there a possibility you could steal some from the adjecent room (behind the sink)?

bubbles bathrooms and tiles

You should be able to open that up to create a nicer storage area but unfortunately with the height being so low you can't really do much else with that space.

Spin the bath around to shower at the door end and i think you should be able to spin the w/c around so it's next to the basin (like the layout above).