Offset or rectangular shower tray

HU-29082837
29 April, 2019
last modified: 29 April, 2019

Hello, I am getting a 1000 x 800 shower tray and struggling to decide whether to go for a rectangular or offset shape for the limited space available. Obviously rectangular gives more space but I am wondering whether the offset would work better aesthetically without compromising too much on the internal space. Thoughts? (I've tried uploading a plan but not sure if this is showing).

I vote rectangular
  • HU-29082837

Finally managed to get a plan uploaded to show the intended layout (the only potential downside I'm thinking of the rectangular is if it leaves enough space to walk past the WC to the sink):

• Steve

Looks Like you could fit a 1000 X 800 Rectangular with a Sliding Door would make the shower bigger, my vote is rectangular

Alternative
  • minipie

Tricky - the offset works better for the space but it’s harder (more expensive) to find a good quality offset enclosure. Eg Matki do a lovely one but it’s £££. You can get better quality rectangular for less money. So depends on how budget constrained you are.

Man About The House - The DIY & Odd Job Handyman

Can you put the dimensions on your plan, not just the shower.

bubbles bathrooms and tiles

Offset quadrants can soften a design as you don't have a harsh corner in the room.

Have you thought about wet panels, open ended? This would also give you a minimal look at you could walk in at one end. Less frame work and it wont look so bulky in the bathroom.

• HU-29082837

Hi bubbles is a 1 meter long tray long enough to have an open end do you think?

I don't think a metre is anywhere near approaching long enough for an open ended tray. We have a 1.8m walk in shower and a 1.2m glass. The water regularly sprays past the 1.2 glass on to the rear of the tray.

If you fancy a walk in shower, why not amend Jonathan's plan as below. I appreciate that some people are picky about opening a door in to a bathroom and seeing a toilet, but if it's the better layout, then you'd go for that surely.

The niche idea, is similar to ours, so like this:-

bubbles bathrooms and tiles

If the tray is 1m and the glass is a 1m you have the 800mm space to walk in at the end. On your diagram it doesn't look like the tray goes to the wall, can you not squeeze in a 1100/1200 instead?