boatenga

What colour should I stain my floor?

boatenga
5 May, 2019
I pretty much chose this house for its original Victorian boards so I got in a great company to perfect them. It’s gone from the first pictures to the second and third and I’m delighted. But now comes the dilemma.

I’m astounded at just how much brighter and bigger it feels with pale pine floors, though I know that something darker will match the look I’m going for in the living and dining room.

The final picture is of some samples he mocked up. Which would you choose?

I’m really tempted to ask him to combine two colours (ie take 3 (original oak) and add a few splashes of 2 (walnut)). Has anyone done this before?!
Medium oak
Original Oak
Walnut

Man About The House - The DIY & Odd Job Handyman

I can't make your vote buttons work, but I really like the original oak, it's really mellow.

• boatenga
    Oops - the photos posted in the wrong order!
    Photo 3: what the floor looked like originally
    Photos 2 & 4: what the floor looks like now (the sample on the floor is walnut)
    Photo 1: The any different colour samples kindly mixed up for me

And here’s another photo of the final three. I have a feeling I’d like something between 2 & 3.
  • boatenga
    Original oak is really winning out! Anyone care to explain why? I’m edging towards thinking the walnut is just too dark - my floor guy is going to test lightening it a little to see what happens
  • E D

Lovely hallway! TBH I think any wood colour would look great and my preference would probably be a medium tone but yes, why not try a lighter walnut if that's the look you want to go for?

I'm not sure if something is not right with your poll, but I for one can not vote (MATH seemed to have the same problem).

Go Modern Furniture

I like the Original Oak too, but sadly i can't seem to vote either !

bubbles bathrooms and tiles

I really like as close to the unfinished version, feels very light, welcoming and fresh.

• Carolina

I love 1, the mixed colours. Seems like a more subdued version of the original oak, less warm.

• boatenga
    I went for a lighter walnut - instant regret! I should have gone for a slightly darker medium oak. Hopefully I’ll get used to it & if not I’ll have to restain in a couple of years.
  • Carolina

Maybe it's the change that takes some getting used to. I'd love to see how it came out