jade_davis90

3m by 2.2m big enough for a living room?

Jade Davis
9 May, 2019

looking at moving my living room to the back of the house where the garden is. it would make it narrower but give me 2 clear walls foe a sofa and tv opposite (current living room has stairs/indent and 4 doors into it so hard for sofa/tv placement. If moving with the new design (attached) would 3m by 2.2m be big enough? any other thoughts?

Design and Build London

Hi this might be big enough, however it is a bit on the smaller side. It will depend whether you will be holding any parties or if this living space will be used by yourself (mainly).

• Ellie

If those are the only rooms - 1 bed, 1 living, 1 kitchen, 1 study and its for 1 or 2 people max then I would say its fine. If it is a house which has bedrooms upstairs, possible 2 adults and 2 children then I would say that the living room is small. I see stairs in the plan, but not sure where they go?

• Jade Davis
    They are communal stairs to the flats upstairs this is just a ground floor property the idea of having a small second bedroom was so that we could have 1 child there up to maybe 3 or 4 years old. It would still ideally only be for 2 adults and possibly 1 child.
  • Jade Davis
    We never hold parties. occasional only 4 of us to dinner so ideally room for a 4 seater table (which we don't have now).
  • forzaitalia

It’s very narrow, but fine for a snug area. Do you need the study? If it’s not crucial you could remove that wall and have an L shaped living room, with maybe a desk/bureau in there. Is the bathroom your only bathroom? if It isn’t you could change it into a cloakroom to give you more space.

• Jade Davis
    this is a ground floor flat so adding the bedroom was so we could have a child at this property and stay longer. this is our only bathroom also and ideally wanted to make it a bit bigger than what it is now.
  • forzaitalia

Ah didn’t realise it was a flat. Well I think it’s plenty for 3. When I was growing there were 6 of us in a 3 bed semi with a teeny tiny kitchen - we got by! :-)

ripplearch

Hi Jade, I would switch the living and bedroom. And remove the wall between current bedroom and kitchen to make a large open living and kitchen. Access bathroom from the current study room (in a corner). Remove the small wall next to ‘Dining’ table to remove the current circulation space. The trick is to keep the plan simple and remove any wasted circulation space. You can do so much with this. Please let us know if you need any help.

• Jade Davis
    sorry note quite sure what you mean? Do.you mean the current double bedroom to switch to the living area? this would then mean not getting the garden view from any living area (if this is what you mean?) also to note the odd 0.8m but out wall opposite the stairs/storage in the current living room.is structural and have been told its very tricky to move it or knock it through as it's supporting the stairs up to 2 upstairs flats (hope that makes sense).
    ripplearch

Although it is not ideal not to have garden view into the living room, having the bedroom in the front of the house is not practical. How close is the house to the road? What about the road sound while sleeping in the front of the house? Also the bedroom too close to the kitchen. It just not feel natural progress of space. Now you enter into the flat through the living/ dining. With regards to the structure, you can always introduce a beam and have a bigger opening – not open completely (refer hatched in image). Also try and get light and ventilation at a higher level at kitchen (not sure what the existing heights).