webuser_216137251

Design help for small kitchen/diner

Connie Sharp
4 years ago

I was hoping to be able to get some advice on the most practical design for the kitchen/diner in my house. Current kitchen was installed by previous owners in 2015 and although some things are quite high spec (solid granite worktops) there are some things that are just ludicrous (eg placement of cooker!).

So we're looking to start again. I've attached a floor plan of the whole downstairs, a more detailed picture of the kitchen with measurements and some photos showing current layout.

Must-haves:

1. Space for a small dining table (to fit 4 people)
  2. Full-size dishwasher
  3. Somewhere to hang tea-towels!

1. Re-use current worktops
  2. To be able to add in a radiator! Currently only one radiator for all downstairs.
  3. Leave sink where it is
  4. Not lose too much storage space overall.

Other info:

1. Currently just me and my husband, but baby due in September - must be suitable for growing family.
  2. No water or gas in the area under the stairs but does have electrical sockets.

Current thoughts:

• Worktop removed from under-stairs area, fit fridge here, built-in microwave and extra storage cabinets/shelving to fill whole space.
  • Dishwasher to sit to left of sink, with worktop taken from under the stairs (clean-up zone).
  • Cooker to move to centre of panel of units on the long wall. Remove the top cupboards above it to make space for extractor.
  • Investigate possibility of moving washing machine out of kitchen to make space for extra storage cabinet.
  • Table to start on free wall (next to door from sitting room) and extend into centre of kitchen.

I've also had thoughts about trying to bring the worktops round in a 'U' shape back to the centre of the room starting from next to where the dishwasher currently is, to create a separate kitchen space and area for the table the other side, but worry this will make both areas very cramped.

Any comments/criticisms of my current plan much appreciated - I've lived for 18 months with this crazy layout and want to make sure I get everything in the right place now!! Only thing to note is that we are going to be remodelling the corridor at the back and bathroom in a few years time, so we won't be making any major changes to that area now.

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.