cindyrr

Which wall to open up? Which direction should kitchen face?

Sharon
14 May, 2019

Hi.. I have space to open up, up to two walls and if necessary, create an extention.

But I can't figure out which direction my kitchen should face! (or which side of the room it should go on) or which room even to go in!

Can you help? What is your opinion?

I liked this design you did previously. The only change I would make would be splitting the staircase
  • Sharon

Hi.. that will not work... I need to just work with the above and focus just on the kitchen. The room shapes are accurate and you can see where an extention would have to be made and this would also mean at least ceiling to floor beams at the corners.

Better?
  • Sharon

No there would be a support beam in the right portion where the extention would be and it throws off a design

OnePlan
    On an investment of this size I’d really suggest you team up with a professional designer or concept planner unless this home is just being flipped ( done up to be sold on) it’s really worth booking time to design this efficiently so that it works for you, the space and the views etc etc . You will be spending a lot - and living with the results for a long time !
    Sharon thanked OnePlan
  • Sharon

I was seeking fresh input from new people and am bummed that I had an old design thrown back in my face to stifle that conversation

• forzaitalia

Sharon there is no need to be rude. Jonathan and One Plan are regular Houzzers who share their valued experience at no cost whatsoever.

Brandler London

Sharon, this is a very difficult question to answer without knowing more about your project.

For example,

1. What is on the internal side of these three existing rooms; are there other rooms and if so what is their use?

2. Where is the kitchen at the moment and what is are the other two rooms at the moment?

3. What does the outside of the house look like? A photograph of the elevation where you are thinking of the extension would be useful.

4. What is your brief with regards to dining facilities in the Kitchen?

It is difficult to give you a subjective view without more information.

As a generalisation, I personally like kitchens where the Islands are looking onto the garden and I like Islands where there is a hob as this allows the cook to engage with their guests or family whilst cooking.