michael_ng99

Ceiling height advice please

M B
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi Houzzers

Builder is asking me about heights of our ceilings in our family, living and kitchen which sits at the back of house. The land is sloped, so the back of house is lower than front of house. Front of house is 3m high and have stepsx3 down to the back area.

The family room is planned for 3.6m high.

We originally planned for a 3m high kitchen and dining, and will have a bulkhead to lower the ceiling in this area.

The builder suggested to make this whole back area: all 3.6m as the bulkhead may make the view from the stairs/front of house corridor, in terms of height, look 'lowish','cramped'.

My only concern is

1) would the 3.6m height make the back area too 'vast', too 'big', too 'empty', and

2) heating/cooling impact - more cost to heat, less comfort in winter with heat rising.

I've been reassured by builder that hydronic heating and aircon have been spec'd more than enough to go from 3 to 3.6m for the entire back area.

Appreciate your thoughts again.

MB

Comments (14)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.