katebg

Peninsula too big?

katebg
19 May, 2019

Hi everyone, please tell me what you think. Is a peninsula that is 86x39 too big for a room that is only 10.5feet wide? It will have an induction cooktop.

The program I used to draw this has very few options, but it gives you a general idea of the layout (those drawers next to the fridge are actually a tall cabinet with oven and microwave).

Thanks a lot!

• tamp75
    How big is the walkway past the end of the peninsula? It looks like it’s less than a metre. If that is the case, I’d definitely consider shortening the length of the peninsula so that it doesn’t feel too closed in there.
    katebg thanked tamp75
  • katebg

It’s a meter to the wall and door. Right in front of it there’s a chimney, so if you take that into consideration it’s 80cm to that.

80cm is door width so it’s ok as a pass through
    katebg thanked Jonathan
  • rinq

A traffic aisle of 120 is better for a family home

katebg thanked rinq
  • tamp75
    I agree that it’s wide enough to get past - we had the same in our last house- but it depends whether you want the kitchen area to be more separate to the dining area or more open.
    katebg thanked tamp75
  • katebg

I don’t mind it separating the kitchen and the dining room, and there will still be easy access to the fridge and the microwave, sink probably not so much. I would really like my work surface to be as big as possible for baking and making other food, and the cooktop and clearance to the wall will take up 43‘.

Any ideas how to make it not look like a huge monolith? I was thinking something like this:

• temple274
    One way to lighten the appearance of your peninsular but still keep the work space is to adjust the size of the cupboard area underneath, so that the worktop overhangs. Even a 15 centimetre overhang would make a visual difference as it frees up that amount of floor. Rounding the end, or even just the corners of the worktop will not only make moving round it easier but more importantly result in fewer bruises from bashing into the corners when in a hurry.
    katebg thanked temple274
    Brandler London

This is an example of what temple274 is talking about and they are absolutely right. What is more you can fit some hidden LED lighting if you use the right style of overhang that completely changes the facade

Penthouse Kitchen in Southwark Warehouse Conversion · More Info

katebg thanked Brandler London
  • katebg

Great, thanks a lot! I see what you mean, it makes it appear a lot lighter.

Fitzrovia Home Staging/Interior Design

Hi as they have suggested I agree it would look better to redesign the isle shape here some inspiration,...

katebg thanked Fitzrovia Home Staging/Interior Design
    Daniel Jay

I think the area is too small for a peninsular. There may be enough space to get through, but you must think about how you use the area for cooking, the flow around the house and how the family use the space. Based on the plan, you only have enough space for one person to work as it is confined.

I am an indépendant specialist Kitchen Designer and I can help get this right for you. Please have a look at my bio for contact details.