Roof Lantern And Island Lighting Advice Please

HU-575888990
20 May, 2019

Hi,

We are at the planning stage for a single storey kitchen extension and would appreciate some advice on roof lanterns. We haven’t yet submitted the plans and want to make sure we get it right!

Our architect has suggested one long roof lantern, but I’m worried that might make an already quite long space look longer, also how long would it have to be to let some natural light into the dining room which will have no windows? l am keen on the idea of two lanterns to break up the space, 2.4 x 1.2m and 1.2 x 1.2m (or maybe 2 x 1m and 1 x 1m) but I don’t know if this is lantern overkill. Either way, I feel we need to have a lantern near to the dining room so it doesn’t look too dark, do these sizes seem feasible?

I am also perplexed about lighting over the island if some of it is underneath the lantern. The left hand side (with French doors) is the existing kitchen so will have a ceiling height of approx 2.4m then the extension will have a ceiling height of approx 3m (flat roof) this in itself is going to be a challenge for lighting and is making my head spin! Would we just have to go with spotlights?

Any advice gratefully accepted.