One-bed flat redesign

Lucy D
22 May, 2019

Hi all, I’m looking for a bit of layout inspiration to maximize space. Want to keep this as a one-bed flat, but the balance seems a bit wrong - at the moment the bedroom is the big room with the bay, which is quite big, and the kitchen is that little poky bit top right. Would like to make more of an open-plan kitchen/sitting/area, with a separate en-suite bedroom but

where you can still access the bathroom without having to go through the bedroom. Any ideas gratefully received!

The obvious thing to do would be to swap the kitchen and bathroom over.
    However if it were me I think I would prefer the living space with access to the outside to be at the back, the front room to be split into bedroom and bathroom and the current kitchen to become a study. To keep the noise of the washing machine out of the kitchen it could go in the study or in one of the cupboards

Man About The House - The DIY & Odd Job Handyman

Perfect! It makes the bedroom smaller, but keeps all the utilities in one place, plus affording much nicer living space. Ideal. You would actually have room for a single type cabin bed, with room to work underneath it in the study area. So, great for maybe a guest staying over too.

• rinq

Where is the current bath?

Do you have a nice back garden?

Which side of the house gets best light?

Could you enlarge the back window?

What side of the house would you like to have your bedroom?

• Lucy D

Current bath is between bedroom and living area; back of the house is south-facing so nicest light and it looks into a communal garden - so not sure about enlarging window as it might be a freehold issue - would need to look into it. Quite like the idea of bedroom being on the back for quiet and peace, but also nice to be able to take guests out to the garden if it’s nice which is a bit awkward if you have to go through a bedroom...

• rinq

Easiest would be to flip kitchen* and bath. How are your thoughts on that?

(and perhaps partially open it up to the living room)

And bathtub or shower?

I think if you have the bedroom at the front you will enjoy the morning sunlight and and if privacy is an issue shutters are brilliant at framing the view, improving privacy and still letting in light when needed.
    Personally I would have the living room in the back room so that you can use the garden. The freeholder may well give permission to make the window bigger although there are other permissions that may also need consideration.
    What’s your budget?