jagdesh_bagri

Party walls and neighbours

J B
26 May, 2019

would love some tips when speaking to neighbours about party walls and submitting planning etc We are end of terrace victorian and are redoing the ground floor at back where kitchen and bathroom are. The kitchen wall is the party wall. the roof slopes so will be straightened. the back door of neighbour is right outside our bathroom window. Would like to move it along half width of a fence panel! Without causing alarm. I would like to mention it first before notice is given. Any ideas how to approach casually. No work will be starting for at least a year.

• Martin

Have you had any plans drawn up? If not draw sketch some yourself and knock on their door/invite them over. Talk them through what you'd like to do and why but say you want to be considerate to them and get their views.

• Tani H-S

Hopefully you already get on or have been friendly woth your neighbours so that’s always a good start. Unlike ours! Lol.

Definately get a sketch done as suggested already and if you can plan on having any builders in or other professionals on site then it would be worth suggesting they can ask them any technical questions to appease them.

Sound them out and go with your paperwork ready (for them to sign - or to leave it with them to sign) and get it all sorted way before you plan on doing the work. If they are stubborn and kick their heels up then it can take 2 months to start any work if they don’t sign

• J B

thank you for your suggestions.