newsonnewhome

Crisis of confidence - kitchen diner too cramped or compromised?

newsonnewhome
4 years ago

Hi all

After the recent arrival of our baby I'm under some pressure to get our new house ready and to get us out of our cramped flat before he is too mobile! Trouble is, I'm lacking conviction and hoping some thoughts from others may help.

The main area I'm wrestling with is a good sized ground floor space which we want to use as the heart of the home with kitchen, diner, utility and play room/office. The first plan below shows what we will have as the base plan after removing a ground floor bedroom and en suite.

The second plan shows what will probably be the most cost effective solution by retaining the utility room where it is (along with existing boiler and washing machine drainage points) and keeping the hob and sink close to existing service connections. I think the utility room walls may be structural.

I have a few nagging doubts:

1. I was concerned that the kitchen was a bit too small / not enough units but after deciding to block up the window (terrible view and limited natural light) we get a few extra wall units which I'm now thinking will probably give us just about enough kitchen storage. I've always liked the stand alone dresser / pantry units for coffee/breakfast and have tried to squeeze one in next to the island. Any thoughts on kitchen size welcome.

2. Im a bit worried about whether the room will feel cramped by trying to fit the kitchen and dining table as shown. The room is 5.4m deep and allowing 600mm for units, 1000mm for aisle, 850mm for the island/peninsula leaves 2.9m for the dining table and chairs. The areas around the table will need to be regularly used as they provide access through to the proposed casual sitting area and play room/office beyond as well as providing access through to the garden.

3. I wonder whether I'm letting the practicalities (and assumed cost savings) of keeping the existing utility room and hob / sink in their current positions determine the layout too much and whether this is stopping me considering an overall better scheme that would still not cost significantly more.

Any thoughts very welcome and thanks in advance.

Comments (9)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.