webuser_71660

painting over layers of chipped paint

Tani H-S
4 years ago

Although I do a lot of painting, I’m not sure what to do about our bedroom bannister.
I’ve left it for ages as couldn’t face it but it currently has a grey gloss paint with lots of chips out of it going back to wood in some places.
It’s in our bedroom with a new floor so I really don’t want to have to chemical strip it all down.

Aside from giving it all a light sand as a key for the new paint, should I just use a lightweight filler to patch up any deep gaps?? Would that work??

Could I get away with just using an oil based primer/undercoat on top of it or should I get the zinnser bin paint to use as a first coat? (Can’t remember if it’s the blue tin or red one I would need??)

Any advice appreciated. Going to use an eggshell as a top coat in a darker grey to match the rest of the woodwork.

Comments (18)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.