lifesizepress

Stone Fireplace Needs Your Help!

Debora Oden
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I see lots of people painting and demo-ing beautiful mid-century fireplaces... I wish I had those problems. Those fireplaces are the ones I have always dreamed about. But the one I will have in my soon to be closed on home looks like it belongs in a hobbit house. It was built with love by the original owner of the house. I really like it in theory but it is just too big. I can see lime washing the rocks, or even painting them grey, but what to do about the hearth that sticks out a yard into the room? Can I chip away the hearth and claim some of the footprint back? Is it possible that there is brick under there? How hard is all this to do? I am very handy and not afraid of power tools. I just don't want to make it worse. Can a stone mason cut it square?

What are your thoughts?

PS I will be putting in some sort of wood flooring after any masonry work.

PPS The images are screen shots, sorry the arrows are misleading.

Thanks!

Comments (29)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.